Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY from Dutch
    Insulation
    TQ HGEBurrow/BQDIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie

DIY Hammock help

Old new guy here, made my first Did it Myself Hammock a few months back, but have some problems. Searched the threads but not finding anything that helps. I watched several videos, ordered my material from Dutch, hemmed it, gathered it and been enjoying it in the man cave for a couple months. Problem I have is the darn thing is too deep. Played around with the ridge line to try to fix it, but can't seem to get it right.

Now what do I mean by it is too deep. When I am just hanging around, it is nice, until I try to get out. My bottom end is hovering just a couple of inches off the floor and my legs barely reach. So, it is really hard to sit sideways, plop my feet down and stand up. The edge is tight, and my short legs are almost dangling. When I put the gathered end together, I pulled the edges out, just a little farther, cause I heard that would help combat the dreaded calf ridge. So, how wide and how long is the darn thing. Well, I got four yards of some the Dobby 1.9 from Dutch, hemmed it and gathered it. So, it is long and wide; that material comes 60" wide and a it is 12 feet long with about 6" of end tail hanging past the gathered end.

Any words of wisdom from the masses?

Thanks,
    Also, how in the heck do I change my screen name?
    Last edited by swebb; 08-10-2019 at 15:47. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Pulling the edges out a couple inches is the culprit. I would try just re-tying the gather without pulling the ends. Should fix your issue. I have decided I would much rather have the edges a little floppy, and, you can put a quick knotty mod at the foot location to take tighten it up to your liking. it’s easy...just poke two holes in the hem with the first one about 2 feet from the foot end, and the other 2 or 3 feet beyond that. Thread a piece of shock cord through, knot one end so it can’t pull through, and put a cord lock on the other.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY from Dutch
    Insulation
    TQ HGEBurrow/BQDIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great, will give that a try.
    Thank you

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    The material size is fine - I don't know how stretchy Dobby 1.9 is. My $1 bin 12'X60" nylon hammock is over 10 ys old and I basically used this method (I use rope vs the webbing in the video). It is easy to adjust if needed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=vLt7WrloFh4

I like DIY too, but recommend watching for Dutch to have a sale on his 11 ft 1.6 Argon hammocks (or his 2nds). This has become my favorite hammock/material.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY from Dutch
    Insulation
    TQ HGEBurrow/BQDIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The Dobby 1.9 is not too much stretchier than the material of my ENO. The difference is the Dobby is a little more, how should I say 'cooler' than the other material. So, I do put the re-purposed sleeping bag as a bottom quilt to keep my bottom from getting chilled. My wife likes to keep the house meat locker cool.

I originally whipped the hammock ends, but might try the knot method when I re-wrap, whip or bind the ends to try to make it easier to exit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I agree with 100 Ton.. if you're trying to pull the extra side fabric in you're creating extra tension at the side hems and a deep bucket in the hammock body. I'd never be able to get out of that. Knotty mod does what you're trying to do with with pulling in the fabric, but stretches back out when it's time to enter or exit.

Also.. how long is your ridge line?

And.. did you use the full four yards of fabric? a twelve footer (less the seam allowance) is a pretty big hammock. I thought I would be most happy with an eleven foot wide and as it turns out, after making so many hammocks that size, I really prefer a ten and a half foot hammock in standard width. Only way to know is to try...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY from Dutch
    Insulation
    TQ HGEBurrow/BQDIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have evened out the foot end whipping. Took several attempts to get it right again. That has helped out a bunch. Will try the knotty mod after I find a good video to watch. Ridgeline is about 108, and have about eight inches of excess material on each end. So it is a little less than 11 feet.

Images
    I've noticed that on some fabrics with more stretch, I actually need to let the sides out when whipping. This mostly applies to tablecloth blanks, but something to keep in mind if you whipped a perfectly square end and still find the edges too tight.

• + New Posts