Tarp
    Minifly, Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Wooki Questions

Hi Everyone,
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 0 Degree Wooki for the colder months and am looking for some reassurances. First, how well, in your experience, does the Wooki do with side sleeping? And, how well does it do when you have tree conditions that lead to a less than good hang?

I have a Phoenix 40 and two Incubators (20 and 0) and I am looking to get away from the shock cord, but I also like that my other quilts are pretty forgiving of a sloppy hang.

Thanks for your help in advance--
    “A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American.” --Edward Abbey

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    I'm a side sleeper and I love my 20 degree Wookie. I have an XLC and it like it was made for it

It takes about a minute to deploy (literally), and follows the contours of the hammock so I would imagine it would handle a less than perfect hang as well as the hammock itself would.

Can't wait to use it on my Eldorado this fall.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    I have found that the wooki never slips out of place when I move from a back position to a side sleeping position and vice versa. My Incubator fares a little worse.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Wooki behaves exactly like your hammock because it actually is a second hammock under your primary hammock. That means that there is no difference between lying on your back or on your side. The only thing that could be an issue is that some body parts might end up outside the insulation. If you are very tall and like to lie on your side with your legs in a 4 configuration, you knee might get cold. I'm only 5'4" and I have never noticed cold knees, although I think I sometimes lie outside the insulated area. But I'm not very sensitive to cold spots under my legs.

With regards to sloppy hanging: the Wooki should be attached to your hammock. If the hammock has more sag than it should, so will the Wooki.

I have been using Wookis for almost 3 years, and haven't had a lot of problems with them. Before I did use normal underquilts for 6 years and did fiddle constantly with them without ever being completely happy.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The Wooki behaves exactly like your hammock because it actually is a second hammock under your primary hammock. That means that there is no difference between lying on your back or on your side. The only thing that could be an issue is that some body parts might end up outside the insulation. If you are very tall and like to lie on your side with your legs in a 4 configuration, you knee might get cold. I'm only 5'4" and I have never noticed cold knees, although I think I sometimes lie outside the insulated area. But I'm not very sensitive to cold spots under my legs.

I have been using Wookis for almost 3 years, and haven't had a lot of problems with them. Before I did use normal underquilts for 6 years and did fiddle constantly with them without ever being completely happy.
    6 foot tall here and don't remember any cold spots and I do sleep in the 4 position quite often. I'm not going to say I've never had cold spots but If I have its never been bad enough to remember being uncomfortable.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just make sure you are in the correct spot in Warbonnet hammock and you will be happy. Mine has worked just as advertised.
    Shug

Blackbird, Blackbird XLC, Traveler hammock Setup:
    The following describes a detailed setup method that should result in maximum comfort (vs. simply hanging between 2 trees and getting inside, which works also.)
    Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16′′ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.
    The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Norshorguy View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 0 Degree Wooki for the colder months and am looking for some reassurances. First, how well, in your experience, does the Wooki do with side sleeping? And, how well does it do when you have tree conditions that lead to a less than good hang?

I have a Phoenix 40 and two Incubators (20 and 0) and I am looking to get away from the shock cord, but I also like that my other quilts are pretty forgiving of a sloppy hang.

Thanks for your help in advance--
    Wookie is the most forgiving on a sloppy hang. I really is just a detachable second hammock layer with quilted insulation. No gaps, drafts, nada. I flail all night, left right, back, figure 4, one leg up one down.. I NEVER have problems with my UQ in any fashion. Wookie is a beast.

Hammock
    WB XLC/Dutch Hexon/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly, Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you everyone! I hit "purchase". I can't wait.

As some have said, I too toss and flail all night. I just returned from a solo BWCA canoe trip and ended up at some sites that were marginal at best and had a few wonky hangs and wondered how the fixed position of the Wooki would do.

But, I think it will be OK. Also, the cold weather is coming to MN and I will be out of the canoe on the trail again--where I have better choices for hanging. 😉
    Last edited by Norshorguy; 08-09-2019 at 13:53.
    “A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American.” --Edward Abbey

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Norshorguy View Post
    Thank you everyone! I hit "purchase". I can't wait.

As some have said, I too toss and flail all night. I just returned from a solo BWCA canoe trip and ended up at some sites that were marginal at best and had a few wonky hangs and wondered how the fixed position of the Wooki would do.

But, I think it will be OK. Also, the cold weather is coming to MN and I will be out of the canoe on the trail again--where I have better choices for hanging. ��
    We were getting ready to tell you all the bad things about owning a Wookie. Oh well, to late now...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Wooki stays put extremely well. Just be sure to hang the foot end higher and closer to tree so that you lay in the sweet spot, which is close to the head end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast