Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Permanent continuous loops?

I’m checking out a new trail lair and noticed an option for permanent continuous loops (crafted with through channel)

I’m not sure what that means exactly but it sounds cool.

I would think I want the ability to swap a continuous loop if it gets damaged. The ones I have now are starting to show some wear.

So, does anyone have this style? Pros and cons?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I assume they mean the CL is spliced after it has been threaded through the channel, vs larkshead as would be done with regular CL.

Assuming this is correct, if you know how to splice (and it ain't rocket surgery) you can do this yourself when replacement time comes.

But personally I don't see any real value/advantage in this, but maybe (or likely?) Jared has come with something that offers a real benefit... that he thought enough of it to offer it as an option suggests this might be the case. So we need to see exactly how it is done.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I believe cmoulder is correct. The permanent CL is just one strand of Amsteel passing through the channel, and then spliced together. I think the reasoning behind this is that the hammock ends aren't cinched tight, and are able to spread out a bit. In theory, this could help the entire hammock spread out better-providing a flatter lay. In reality, I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, once tension is placed on the CLs. I have never used a hammock with permanent CLs before; but It's something I would try out of curiosity.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    That’s exactly right. The loops are spliced on instead of larks headed on. I think it is ultimately not worth it. You may want to use those loops on another hammock some days. You may want to larks head a whoopie sling directly to the hammock some days. The biggest issue is when you attach a ridgeline to the hammock. It can be done, but all of the methods that I know of result in the ridgelines being fairly loose and can slip off of the loops adding some fiddle factor.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good points there, rweb82 and HandyRandy.

One other thing that has crossed my mind occasionally is that when a spliced CL is larksheaded through the channel it creates a larger radius between the Amsteel and the hammock material, and a larger radius translates to stress being spread over a larger area.

Perhaps real-life long-term implications of this are zilch, but maybe it matters for somebody weighing 270lb using 1.0 Hexon (yep, I've seen this!)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    One strand through end channel rather than two strands, maybe save a few grams and can’t be dislodged and possibly lost. Maybe not a good enough reason for most, possibly a reason for some.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I think the reasoning behind this is that the hammock ends aren't cinched tight, and are able to spread out a bit. In theory, this could help the entire hammock spread out better-providing a flatter lay. In reality, I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, once tension is placed on the CLs.
    I experimented with this with soft shackles instead of splicing the continuous loops in. I was hoping it would help with the calf ridge. I didn’t find much of a difference.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I have some 11 and 12 foot tarps. When I started using the 11 foot tarps I found my suspension hardware a little close to the ends of the tarp. I just swapped out the CLs for shorter ones. Not a big deal but I would of had to cut them if they were permanent loops.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I believe cmoulder is correct. The permanent CL is just one strand of Amsteel passing through the channel, and then spliced together. I think the reasoning behind this is that the hammock ends aren't cinched tight, and are able to spread out a bit. In theory, this could help the entire hammock spread out better-providing a flatter lay. In reality, I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, once tension is placed on the CLs. I have never used a hammock with permanent CLs before; but It's something I would try out of curiosity.
    Just received a new Trail Lair and I went with the permanent loops. I can notice the difference on the gathered ends that there is considerably less uneven bunching than with other hammocks I have. With the permanent loops the bunching is all evenly dispersed.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    Just received a new Trail Lair and I went with the permanent loops. I can notice the difference on the gathered ends that there is considerably less uneven bunching than with other hammocks I have. With the permanent loops the bunching is all evenly dispersed.
    Do you notice an actual difference in how the hammock feels to you, with regards to calf ridge or overall comfort?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast