Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I believe cmoulder is correct. The permanent CL is just one strand of Amsteel passing through the channel, and then spliced together. I think the reasoning behind this is that the hammock ends aren't cinched tight, and are able to spread out a bit. In theory, this could help the entire hammock spread out better-providing a flatter lay. In reality, I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes, once tension is placed on the CLs. I have never used a hammock with permanent CLs before; but It's something I would try out of curiosity.
    Beyond simply not losing it...

Yar- messed with this a bit. You're pretty well correct... the tension tends to simply concentrate the gather again at the low point. Though you can play with it a bit if you're careful how you lay down.

Though Jared's cat cut hammocks may handle that slipping better... and there is another trick or two that I know he may employ to take advantage of this a bit so might be a legitimate improvement.

Spreader End .png

This was inspired by the 'mini spreader' some folks played with years back. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hannel-Hammock

Going more extreme is more fun. Though you need to secure the spread in some way or it will also simply bottom out on your bigger loop.

What this more accurately does though is allow a shorter hammock to feel larger. If you picture the hammock like a canoe- and cut off the front foot or so- that's basically what you get.
    Like a square stern canoe for a motor mount. That said- one goal of mine was to reduce weight and pitch size... turns out the fabric is lighter than the amsteel/bar/etc. And the ridgeline length doesn't get any shorter as what is happening is while you are cutting off the tip of the canoe... you are leaving the gunwhales intact so to speak. So nose to nose the hammock is still the same size at the end of the day.

There are some other uses to this trick- but at the end of the day I suspect that enough customers have requested to have the loops attached this way that Jared added the option.
    Often a new option or 'improvement' is the result of a customer error/complaint. I've seen folks tug the continuous loop out of a gathered end thinking that was part of taking one down... not a fun thing to fix in the field.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Do you notice an actual difference in how the hammock feels to you, with regards to calf ridge or overall comfort?
    IMO that's just the way Trail Lairs lay. If you go to the site and read the description on the Voyager, the triangle hoods help cut down on calf ridge. Trail Lairs have similar hood. When I lay inside my TL and look up towards the foot end the fabric folds are smoother and disappear quicker heading downward compared to some other cottage vendor hammocks I have. The new permanent CL's method just makes sense compared to conventional CL's
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12