Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images

Chameleon: Peak shelf installation tip

Not sure if this will be useful to anyone else...maybe I just have weak hands.

But I went to install my new peak shelf in my Chameleon tonight, following the instructions from Dutch's video on this operation. All went well with attaching the squeeze hook to the ridge line and the mitten hook to the suspension.

But when I tried to attach the pack hooks to the interior D-rings of the hammock, failure. I could not get the hooks over the D-rings by just pressing them on. Same with attaching the D-ring at the end of the shelf to the pack hook up on the ridge line.

I went in the garage and came out with a fairly robust pair of needle-nose pliers...success! Just the extra leverage of using the pliers to squeeze the hooks over the rings worked well. Not sure I'll ever get them off, but at least they're on now

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I used my teeth the last time I installed some. Good thing my teeth are still stronger than the plastic.

Images
    It's been a while, but it's a matter of connecting these squeeze hooks on the peak shelf to the 1/2" D-rings inside the hammock, correct? And then vice-versa on the shelf/ridgeline connection?

I don't recall fitting those squeeze hooks to the D-rings being very difficult, but maybe they changed suppliers or something, leading to subtle differences in dimensions.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Yes, that's one of the little buggers. The ones I have were a really tight fit on that hooked part.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The are really tight if you are pushing them straight on. Put it at a 45 degree angle and start with the corner of the hook. The radius of that corner makes it a bit easier to spread the hook. Once you get it up the radius you have already spread the hook and it should snap on.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The are really tight if you are pushing them straight on. Put it at a 45 degree angle and start with the corner of the hook. The radius of that corner makes it a bit easier to spread the hook. Once you get it up the radius you have already spread the hook and it should snap on.
    Thanks for the tip Dutch. I will have to say, of all of my hammocks and various storage options (peak bags, saddle bags, side cars, shelves) I find the peak shelf the most useful. Plenty of room to stuff a top quilt in one end and extra clothes, jacket, phone, etc. in the other end. Good stuff.

Tarp
    DD superlight tarp
    Insulation
    Cumulus M400
    A question about the peak shelf, i want to add some D-ring on the inside edge of my trail lair to clip the hooks of a peak shelf but i have to know the distance between the end of the hammock and these D-ring. Can anyone give me this distance please ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syl20 View Post
    A question about the peak shelf, i want to add some D-ring on the inside edge of my trail lair to clip the hooks of a peak shelf but i have to know the distance between the end of the hammock and these D-ring. Can anyone give me this distance please ?
    They are roughly 23" from the gathered end.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    I also measured 23 inches from the gathered end. There is also shock cord on the peak shelf that you can on both sides via pack hooks.

20190902_180847.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Syl20 View Post
    And when you get ready to install the peak shelf, ship the whole kit off to Dvankirk instead of using your own teeth!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast