Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Symmetrical chameleon with asym net? How does it compare full asym?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into getting a Dutchware Chameleon hammock and one thing that seemed odd to me is that it's a symmetrical hammock body that supports an asymmetrical (and symmetrical) bugnet. I am wondering what peoples review is of the Chameleon with an asym bugnet vs. most other asymmetrical hammocks with asymmetrical bugnets like the Warbonnet Blackbird or the Dream Hammock Darian. I could imagine that the Chemeleon being symmetrical in body but not net is a middle ground compromise where you get some cave in but not as much? Maybe the bug net being asym pulls all the fabric away more than I'd expect? Perhaps the design leaves the chameleon feeling mostly just like a symmetrical hammock entirely? Does anyone have experience with the Chameleon and another asym hammock with a bugnet?

Thanks a bunch.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking into getting a Dutchware Chameleon hammock and one thing that seemed odd to me is that it's a symmetrical hammock body that supports an asymmetrical (and symmetrical) bugnet. I am wondering what peoples review is of the Chameleon with an asym bugnet vs. most other asymmetrical hammocks with asymmetrical bugnets like the Warbonnet Blackbird or the Dream Hammock Darian. I could imagine that the Chemeleon being symmetrical in body but not net is a middle ground compromise where you get some cave in but not as much? Maybe the bug net being asym pulls all the fabric away more than I'd expect? Perhaps the design leaves the chameleon feeling mostly just like a symmetrical hammock entirely? Does anyone have experience with the Chameleon and another asym hammock with a bugnet?

Thanks a bunch.
    I just spent my second night in a new chameleon with a symmetrical bugnet. I always sleep head left and wondered the same thing as you. I think that there’s just more screening on the symmetrical net and fits a bit more free allowing for a more open feeling in the hammock. And I can attest that you can lay full diagonal with no pulling or interference from the net on the hammock body. I personally like having as much room as possible. And it works great. I also have a Hennessy deep jungle xl which is an asymmetrical system, Hammock and net, and though a great hammock, is not even close in comfort and roominess. So getting on diagonal works great, and no extra fabric or screen in your face. Especially when using the tie outs. Good luck

Hammock
    diy 1.7 mtn xl
    Tarp
    UGQ 11' Hex hanger
    Insulation
    HG econ TQ, JARBID
    Suspension
    myerstech
    What you will find is most all "asymmetrical" hammocks are only that way because of the bugnet. If the bugnet is removed it's generally always a symmetrical hammock though I think a couple brands actually cut the hammock body on an asym but I can't remember who

The symmetric bugnet is cut the same on both sides (symmetric) so that the hammock can be layed in either way which is great for people that don't know their lay, move a lot, or don't have a lay preference.

The asymmetric bug net is cut for a specific lay and if you lay against the cut you can put too much stress on the netting and cause ripping. It's often a lighter/more packable option as there is less material and is preferable to someone that always lays the same direction because there is less net sagging

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yes, asym is determined by bug net only. Chameleon net is flippable for either right or left lay.

I have a Chameleon and Dariens (3 of 'em!) and it seems to me that cut of the Darien net is tweaked just a teensy bit more for less material sag, but OTOH what little more sag there might be with the Chameleon doesn't bother me in the least. Nearly always when I observe a bit of sag — with either Chameleon or Darien — it is because I have moved around while sleeping and am not in optimal diagonal position.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gtownreb View Post
    What you will find is most all "asymmetrical" hammocks are only that way because of the bugnet. If the bugnet is removed it's generally always a symmetrical hammock though I think a couple brands actually cut the hammock body on an asym but I can't remember who

The symmetric bugnet is cut the same on both sides (symmetric) so that the hammock can be layed in either way which is great for people that don't know their lay, move a lot, or don't have a lay preference.

The asymmetric bug net is cut for a specific lay and if you lay against the cut you can put too much stress on the netting and cause ripping. It's often a lighter/more packable option as there is less material and is preferable to someone that always lays the same direction because there is less net sagging

100% right except I think the reason you can’t recall any exceptions is because there are none. I have often wondered if there are any exceptions though. Such as a hammock with slanted end channels and an asym net.

Hammock
    diy 1.7 mtn xl
    Tarp
    UGQ 11' Hex hanger
    Insulation
    HG econ TQ, JARBID
    Suspension
    myerstech
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    100% right except I think the reason you can’t recall any exceptions is because there are none. I have often wondered if there are any exceptions though. Such as a hammock with slanted end channels and an asym net.
    I've seen in discussions on a Facebook group (I don't recall which one) where I think myerstech had been playing with the idea but still nothing offered to the public

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    There is one. It’s called a Warrior Edge. Not cut symmetrical.

• + New Posts