Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition zip and WBBB

RidgeRunner question

I've been sleeping full time in a std Blackbird for about 5 years now, I use two top quilts inside each other, a 20deg F & a 40deg F which makes it super warm, I have a set way off getting in & out for those night time calls in the dark(don't bother with the bedroom light), it's been all good so far & Iv'e gotten around the calf ridge problem but it's a fine line, have been thinking about a RidgeRunner for something different but have not seen anyone getting in & out of one with a top & bottom quilt attached, with the angle of getting in it looks like the top quilt might tend to fall out, has anyone got any experience using the RidgeRunner with a top quilt? Easy? Hard? Pain in the butt?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    I haven't found this to be a problem. Mind you, I have the net RR; maybe this is more a problem with the netless one. Just stuff my 20deg top quilt into the far saddlebag before getting out; its stayed in real good for me so far. I suppose you could stuff it down toward your feet or even attach it there instead if that's easier. The underquilt (Lynx, and other UQs made for the RR) is attached (with biners) to the bottom corners of the RR; I've never heard of (or had) problems with that slipping, either.

For me, sleep's better in the RR than in a GE hammock, maybe because I like to sleep on my sides. I'd recommend the double layer version and a pad (with or without an UQ); that will feel wider -- and a double layer should keep your pad from falling out!

Enjoy!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I always use a top quilt with my Ridgerunner(s) and just like a gathered end the bug net hold the quilts just fine but I typically put my top quilt in the furthest saddle bag, then get in and arrange. The saddle bag will hold the majority of the quilt at least enough to keep it out of the way till I get in and lay down.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Mostly a non-issue.

You can push your quilt to the bottom... and then pull it onto you like a bedsheet.

Sorta like asking.... how do you get into your gathered end when your quilt and pillow keep falling into the center?

Simplest solution if you're very concerned... get the bugnet. Even if your top quilt slides off your torso... it won't have anywhere to go.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I tested a Ridgerunner a while back, and didn't have any issues with my TQ falling out.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Pretty much a non-issue. Sort of valid question when you look at it and try to imagine getting in and out, but not all that much different from a regular gathered end hammock. If netted then a definite non-issue. Sometimes in my gathered netless hammocks, the quilt tends to sneak over the side on the narrow foot end and then fall out. Since the ends actually have more room in the RR, no issue there at all if netless.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Its way easier.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LynxT-JRB HG
    Suspension
    strap/buckle
    Same as many have already said I either push it down or slide over to the storage pocket I actually find it easier to get out of then GE, I grab both side and pivot out though with very little tilt.
    WHAT MAP

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am a cold sleeper, so I am sure my body is wrapped!

With my RR, I put a little loop of heavy elastic on the end seem of the quilt and hooked it to the bar at the foot of my RR. The beauty of down is it wants to lightly wrap around your body sealing out drafts. Add a UQ and the two quilts form a seal.

I designed and built part of the down quilts I have, I put a 6 inch flap around the top and sides of my TQ so if I must go to ground my TQ will have extra sealing power.

With my RR loosing the TQ has never been a problem. Gathered End hammocks, I put quilt hooks on one side of the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition zip and WBBB
    Thanks for all the replies! I do like that loop idea Ironfish, will look into one when our Aussie dollar gets a bit higher.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast