Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Just want to point out one thing since people are just referring to "Hennessy Ultralight".

There are two different Hennessy ultralight hammocks available: the Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker (which the original poster has) and Hennessy Explorer Ultralite XL. The former is a 10-foot hammock, while latter is a foot longer (it's fabric length is 335 cm). Just pointing this out so that people don't get confused when others are talking about the length of "Hennessy Ultralight" without saying which one they mean.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by bitti View Post
    There are two different Hennessy ultralight hammocks available: the Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker (which the original poster has) and Hennessy Explorer Ultralite XL...
    In my post above, I talk about having a HH Explorer UL Asym... I don't recall it being "XL" or having those letters on the stuff sack, but I've been wrong before. I also forgot it was longer than 10'. Compared to every 11' gathered-end hammock I've owned since, it felt like it was 8' long.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    First of all, you didn't make a mistake - you got started...

3) UnderQuilt: It's important to understand how heat works. Your body produces the heat, not the bag. If there were nothing to take away the heat, you would be very uncomfortable. Problem is, sometimes too much heat is removed. How does this happen. There are about four "gates" that allows heat to escape. To be warm, you just have to close the gates. When you are on the ground, your loss is usually by conduction - contact with something cold (the ground). Your sleeping pad provides insulation from the ground, stopping conduction heat loss. When you are in the hammock, your heat lost is mostly by convection - air currents under/around the hammock. Your sleeping bag will provide insulation above, but the part you are sleeping on is compressed so you only have a few layers of nylon between you and the heat robbing air currents...
    Excellent advice, especially on the mindset of beginning on the learning curve as opposed to making some sort of error - like we all haven't made similar "errors". And one of the best explanations I've seen about how to think about being insulated. That becomes real important when you go to an UQ, which is the path most of us take.

Clearly a lot of us started with a HH. I began during a time when site selection was how you mitigated weather issues, more so than a larger tarp. Never had an issue with the stock tarp. That said, I began to want more room under the tarp, more for enjoyment rather than protection, and especially so as larger tarps were becoming more available. A smaller tarp needs to be pulled down close to protect well, whereas a larger tarp can be hung higher so that you have more headroom getting in and out and still bring a side (or two if you're into that sort of thing) down to block wind. For me, its been about having porch mode view from the hammock that you only get with a hex. Doors make me feel more enclosed, but I did eventually add them to my large hex. My advice would be to go with a lighter color if you do eventually get a tarp with doors to alleviate some of that enclosed feeling. Again, that's a path we all sort of gravitate towards because of how doors are so effective at blocking wind on the ends where your UQ can be most vulnerable.

I used a pad for years in my HH (bottom entry) and I figured out that a short pad worked much better. For one, the ends of the pad weren't running up the sides of the ends of the hammock where they corrupt the flat lay and create pressure on the pad to move to a more straight-line position - and its the pressure that makes it want to slide out from under you. Plus, hanging my head and feet off the ends of the short pad (BA Insulated petite) exaggerated the flat lay, besides staying in position a lot better. Pads are also less sensitive to convection heat loss compared to UQs, though they're not nearly as cozy. And if you're not worried about an UQ getting wet, you don't need as much tarp or an UQP. I'd hesitate to suggest buying a new, short, pad as opposed to going the UQ route, but its definitely a more cost effective option to stick with a pad for now. Depending on how much bulk you can stand, a light ccf or reflectix pad can be fashioned to whatever your spec needs are for relatively cheap.

So not a mistake at all for your current setup. Most of us might've guided you somewhere else if asked at the time, but you've got a quality camping hammock and tarp. All you really need to do is get out and learn what your real preferences are. If you stick with a pad, you may not need as much tarp, and you might go for a TQ to replace your bag as the next step in your progression (that was mine). As we've all realized over time, once you start changing something it sort of begets more changes. Starting out with nothing can be a lot easier than trying to advise on how to better your current setup. But you can always sell it here for little overall penalty if needed to go a different direction.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    In my post above, I talk about having a HH Explorer UL Asym... I don't recall it being "XL" or having those letters on the stuff sack, but I've been wrong before. I also forgot it was longer than 10'. Compared to every 11' gathered-end hammock I've owned since, it felt like it was 8' long.
    Looks like all is the same, but they've added the XL to the name. I guess Explorer vs Backpacker wasn't enough in marketing terms.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Very good comments to your questions. I'll just chime in with one item. Put your pad IN your sleeping bag and you won't fall off it. It's what I have my scouts do when they bring a hammock and do not have access to a TQ/UQ setup.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryrmnp View Post
    1. I realized I may have jumped the gun in which hammock I purchased. My goal is backpacking trips, so lightweight stuff is important. Is there anything I should switch out or modify, such as the tree straps or rainfly? Is the HH ultralight a good core hammock?
    2. How the hell does the rainfly keep an UQ dry if there's even a hint of wind? Are there larger rainflys that cover more as opposed to the one that came with my hammock?
    3. Do I continue to use my regular mummy bag if I use an UQ, or do people prefer just the top quilt?
    4. Any other pointers or things I may not know?

Cheers!
    The Hennessey system is solid if a little dated, but I've still got mine and it's going strong after 5 years, now on loan to my daughter. I'd advise using it at least a year and get to know it and its limitations/benefits. That experience will tell you what, if anything, you might want to modify or replace. It's a good core hammock that should last years.

If you've got the stock rainfly, it'll work, but you're right that it covers mainly the hammock and not a lot else. You can rig it low and tight, though, and it'll work even in bad downpours. If you want more coverage, try a hex tarp. Hennessey makes one, and so do other vendors, too many to list. I upgraded to the Hennessey Hex and liked it, though there are lighter options.

You don't say what temperatures you want to sleep in, so it's hard to recommend any particular underquilt. If you want to get down to the 40s, the HH Super Shelter is a viable option. If you can get one on sale they're an especially good value and include what amounts to a water resistant underquilt protector that fits the hammock perfectly. If you want to get lower than that, like freezing or below, there are some purpose built underquilts made to fit the Hennessey line. See Arrowhead Equipment and Jacks 'R Better.

Use your sleeping bag for a while before you buy a quilt, would be my recommendation. You'll learn what works and what doesn't and save money for better gear that you'll KNOW you need once you've been sleeping in a hammock for a year or so. I used a bag for over a year and a pad for nearly that long and now prefer quilts, but I wrung out my existing equipment before I bought so I'd know what I needed. Just have fun in the thing for a while and keep reading the forums for pointers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Some great responses... I have nothing more to add.

Please resume...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryrmnp View Post
    1. Is there anything I should switch out or modify, such as the tree straps or rainfly? Is the HH ultralight a good core hammock?
      I've had 2 HH and in my opinion, they are not top tier hammocks. They're not terrible, just not that great. If I were looking for a new hammock today, the first four places I would look would be, Dream Hammock, Dutchware, Simply Light Designs and Warbonnet. They're many more good choices in hammocks, but that would be were I'd start looking. Short tree straps and long woppie slings would be an oz or 3 lighter than long straps if your counting oz's. Look at Warbonnet Outdoors for a wide range of rainfly options. From tinny to fully inclosed and everything in between.
    2. How the hell does the rainfly keep an UQ dry if there's even a hint of wind? Are there larger rainflys that cover more as opposed to the one that came with my hammock?
      UQ protector or a tarp/fly with doors. Keep in mind, wind SUCKS the heat right out of a UQ. If it's going to be breezy, you'll want to keep the wind off the UQ. Either a UQ protector or doored trap will do that.
    3. Do I continue to use my regular mummy bag if I use an UQ, or do people prefer just the top quilt?
      Your choice, but like it's been said in this thread, an UQ is lighter and easier to use (IMO).
    4. Any other pointers or things I may not know?
      Look up the dutchware continuous ridgeline for your rain fly. Makes setting up and taking down your fly much faster. Make sure to have some sort of rain block on your suspension to keep the rain from running down into your hammock. Biners and buckles normally work on straps but with woopies slings tying a few short pieces of guy line to the suspension works. Same goes for your tarp/fly, tie a little line if needed at the trap edge to keep rain from running under the trap.

Cheers!
    Last edited by ScooterInVegas; 08-08-2019 at 22:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Look at the simply Light designs trail winder UQP with sewn in asymmetrical UQ. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Lightweight, absolutely effective, and extremely affordable. Pick your temp rating and it shows up in 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12