Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using KAM snaps for UQ to hammock

I have seen all kinds of UQ to hammock suspension ideas. However have never seen anyone use KAM snaps to attach the UQ to the hammock.

I am thinking of trying it on a simple DIY single layer gathered end hammock with my DIY Costco UQ. I figure I would lay in the hammock and have someone use some pins to drape the hammock and make sure it was a not to looose/tight situation.

OK.....now poke holes in my idea

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    This isn’t exactly what you’re proposing, I think— but Kammok does have a system where part of underquilt mode on their quilts involves using snaps on the quilt with gear loops on the hammock. Note that they are still using shock cord to attach to the ends of the hammock suspension. Not sure how you get around that to get the quilt to snug up against you.

https://gearjunkie.com/kammok-bobcat...ammock-camping

Images
    This wont work unless you also have tension pulling the short ends of the quilt towards the hammock ends. This is purely a geometric problem. Without tension through the middle, the snapped-on quilt will drape to the floor, even more so when you get out.

I have a similar idea but not with the underquilt but the top quilt. I have RR and toss and turn a lot and since the hammock is so narrow I would like to snap the top 1/3 or so of my top quilt to the hammock so that when I roll over i don't need to readjust my quilt.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Typically, you want the UQ to "lift" the hammock when nobody is in it. This lift gives it a snug fit.

I think you won't achieve this with snaps. Therefore, CBS will getcha!

I made one of these Gemini underquilts using a Clew that is attached with snaps.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ini+Underquilt

I did the double quilt version, and have slept in it comfortably down into the 30's. If you look at the final design, the guy is putting cam snaps on places that will allow you to take the underquilt and snap it into a top quilt with a foot box. I would probably get a couple of the Costco quilts and do this as a dedicated top quilt. The beauty of this system is that you can keep adding a quilt to the package to increase the warmth of the total quilt.

As an under quilt, you can do this only so often and then the hanging weight will be counter productive. But I don't see why joining three or four quilts together into a top quilt would not be beneficial. And if you can get your hands on old square shaped down sleeping bags you can cam snap them together to do the same thing.

My main problem with the Clew system is that over time the strands of the Clew get tangled. I have had to take the Clew apart and restring it to fix this problem. You have to have a way to bind the strands for storage and be careful not to tangle it when you set it up.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    I made one of these Gemini underquilts using a Clew that is attached with snaps.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ini+Underquilt

I did the double quilt version, and have slept in it comfortably down into the 30's. If you look at the final design, the guy is putting cam snaps on places that will allow you to take the underquilt and snap it into a top quilt with a foot box. I would probably get a couple of the Costco quilts and do this as a dedicated top quilt. The beauty of this system is that you can keep adding a quilt to the package to increase the warmth of the total quilt.

As an under quilt, you can do this only so often and then the hanging weight will be counter productive. But I don't see why joining three or four quilts together into a top quilt would not be beneficial. And if you can get your hands on old square shaped down sleeping bags you can cam snap them together to do the same thing.

My main problem with the Clew system is that over time the strands of the Clew get tangled. I have had to take the Clew apart and restring it to fix this problem. You have to have a way to bind the strands for storage and be careful not to tangle it when you set it up.
    A couple mini snakeskins made out of pantyhose would keep the clews from getting tangled.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Geometry......
    Rectangular Costco UQ with a hammock that is not rectangular.

KAM snap the sides.
    Use shock cord or elastic at the open ends to close them up and conform to the space.

I am not sure I agree that unloaded you want the UQ to lift the hammock. That makes me think when you lay in the hammock you will create a fair amount of pressure to the insulation of the UQ thus defeating the idea of loft. If you were able to close the ends as discussed then even if you have some air space between you and the UQ you should get great heat retention. You may need to hang a little higher to account for the sag........

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Unloaded the quilt should just be lifting the hammock up. If the hammock is spilling out the ends of the quilt, the quilt suspension is too tight. If the quilt suspension is too loose you'll have drafts. I have found that all of my underquilts (all HammockGear) need about 18" to 24" of additional shock cord to hang correctly. But, worth noting that I have my primary suspension clipped up to the structural ridge line and that eats up a bit of stretch in the stock UQ suspension. Also worth noting that all of my hammocks are either 11' or 10.5'
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    Geometry......
    Rectangular Costco UQ with a hammock that is not rectangular.

KAM snap the sides.
    Use shock cord or elastic at the open ends to close them up and conform to the space.

I am not sure I agree that unloaded you want the UQ to lift the hammock. That makes me think when you lay in the hammock you will create a fair amount of pressure to the insulation of the UQ thus defeating the idea of loft. If you were able to close the ends as discussed then even if you have some air space between you and the UQ you should get great heat retention. You may need to hang a little higher to account for the sag........
    Shug has a video about the UQ lifting the hammock. Works well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast