Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I have one of Bill's Luxury Bridges with carbon fiber poles and it works just fine. Everything fits the same as with the metal buckle on my Ridge Runner. I'm no engineer, but I don't see any issues without it. I've thought from the beginning that it was a brilliant design.

The Luxury, Big Guy, and Happy Medium (my premium bridges) work a bit differently since the bar is recessed. You're attaching to a spliced eye that is part of the suspension. So the pole connects directly to the structure without anything in between to transfer it. Bit cleaner and allows me to push a little further on the stress levels. The fabric on those is just hanging off the structure.

With a RR or most bridges the structure is attached to the fabric- then you add a webbing loop to that, and connect dogbones to the webbing loop. That adds a good bit of force to the corners and requires reinforcing to back it all up.
    The RR in particular as the webbing loop is attached to one side only to accommodate the bug net.

Here's the actual structure of your bridge... the fabric is load bearing. But only in the sense that it has to carry your weight out to the primary suspension.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    For those curious about clipping on a quilt... this is how my end bar prototypes look like these days. (pretty much the same as it's always looked really).
    It does appear you will lose this connection point but you could just as easily clip on between the bar and the bridge.
    I do not suggest you clip between the bar and the tree or wrap the pole and clip. The few times I've had personal or customer issues with a pole slipping out on entry and exit... the UQ tends to be the culprit.
    Attachment 176968
    Yeah, that makes sense. My comment above was sloppy about suggesting clipping the biner "anywhere on the suspension beyond the Dynaweave," since I see no reason why someone would want to clip it on the far side of the spreader bar. Between the hammock and the bar seems like the obvious choice. Thanks for clarifying that.

If the way the Instagram pic shows the bar attaching to the Amsteel is different than the way you do it, I know I've seen it somewhere. It's partly coming back to me now - I saw this method in a DIY build, but I can't recall who made it. It was a very colorful hammock, that's all I can remember for sure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If the way the Instagram pic shows the bar attaching to the Amsteel is different than the way you do it, I know I've seen it somewhere. It's partly coming back to me now - I saw this method in a DIY build, but I can't recall who made it. It was a very colorful hammock, that's all I can remember for sure.
    I think I'm getting my wires crossed again. This may have been the "colorful" build I was thinking of (which is more like the design Just Bill / gmcttr referenced, less the bobbins)
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=DIY+bridge

But this build by KC looks to be similar to what Warbonnet is changing to in terms of securing the poles (with the major exception that KC is running the Amsteel all the way through the channels at the sides of the bridge):

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yeah, that makes sense. My comment above was sloppy about suggesting clipping the biner "anywhere on the suspension beyond the Dynaweave," since I see no reason why someone would want to clip it on the far side of the spreader bar. Between the hammock and the bar seems like the obvious choice. Thanks for clarifying that.

Suppose no real harm in this part:

Brandon is girth hitching the dogbone on- and completing the hitch. You then stick the pole tip into the portion of the eye loop that remains exposed.
    The advantage there is that it's easy to get the pole tip in... and the pole itself is a bit further away from the bridge making it sit closer to where it would have sat if you were still using hardware.
    I won't get into the disadvantage as that's the part I don't want to talk about.

The typical way is to girth hitch on the dogbone, but don't complete the hitch. The pole tip then sits inside the hitch.
    This can be a little harder to get the pole tip in, but it is a hair more secure as the girth hitch is grabbing the pole tip and your connection is right at the webbing (inline with structure).
    After a few nights of use the amsteel/dynaglide begins to take a 'set' and the loop doesn't close up which makes it easier to pitch.

End bar 2.jpg

There's a better picture perhaps to illustrate it.
    As mentioned it's the connection I used on my Micro Bridge which was made for speed hiking. After a dozen nights it's a very quick and easy method... probably easier than my recessed bar bridges.
    I have since improved that slightly to assist the user but I'll keep that to myself still.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I think I'm getting my wires crossed again. This may have been the "colorful" build I was thinking of (which is more like the design Just Bill / gmcttr referenced, less the bobbins)

But this build by KC looks to be similar to what Warbonnet is changing to:
    First one is closer.
    KC built an 'End bar Ariel' basically in that build. He has the 'rope in channel' suspension I showed in that video above, but in an end bar setup.
    I'm pretty sure the owner of that bridge got a bugnet from me not long ago and was still pretty happy with it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    First one is closer.
    KC built an 'End bar Ariel' basically in that build. He has the 'rope in channel' suspension I showed in that video above, but in an end bar setup.
    I'm pretty sure the owner of that bridge got a bugnet from me not long ago and was still pretty happy with it.
    Yeah, you beat me to my edit. I realized the thru-channel construction after posting. I'll be quiet now.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Oh wow oh wow oh wow....this new style is available over on Warbonnet’s website now! Apparently added 9/10/19. I assume it’s the “None” suspension option.

You can still get end plates as a $15 option.

Images
    So a little more info...We simply ran completely through a large batch of those corner buckles and this seemed to be a better option than buying a ton more. Some may recall the issue awhile back where the last batch of buckles was just sharp enough to slowly wear into the polyester webbing, we remedied that by padding that part of the webbing with that little piece of heavyweight purple dyneema webbing.

A direct webbing to amsteel connection was something I avoided at the time the RR was designed because I did not feel confident in that connection point. I once saw 2 nylon climbing slings girth hitched together nearly fail at the girth hitch just from being toproped on. So I felt like the buckles were a safer bet at the time. Also at the time there was no such thing as lightweight dyneema webbing, now there is and I feel confident that hitching the dogbone directly to UHMWPE webbing is a very solid connection and it eliminates the hardware and saves about 1.75 oz.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-18-2019 at 13:30.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    Oh wow oh wow oh wow....this new style is available over on Warbonnet’s website now! Apparently added 9/10/19. I assume it’s the “None” suspension option.

You can still get end plates as a $15 option.
    No, the end plates are only available on hammocks that are sitting in stock, anything we make going forward has the new configuration but we do have certain models/colors in stock (like single layers) that aren't as popular that have the corner buckles, so those models won't switch over till the current ones sell out.

The 15$ option you are referring to is the 1" webbing/buckle suspension. "None" would be no actual suspenison, just a continuous loop on the very end to attach your aftermarket suspension to.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for the clarification warbonnetguy. I think I see one of these new style RR’s in my future!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123