Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PNW Convert

PNW Convert

Dang it! rjs111 stole my title.

I'm a long time lurker and new hanger convert. While researching, this forum came up time and again to answer my questions, reviews and DIY info so.. now converted... I figured it was about time to introduce myself.

Thank you for allowing me to join your forum and express my thanks to so many of you who have shared their experiences and wealth of knowlege. It's been absolutely invaluable.

I'm a lifetime camper/hunter/fisherman/diver/explorer/outdoorsman. In general, a minamalist extended walkabout go where the wind takes you type, but as I've gotten older, the ground seems to have gotten a bit harder than it used to be. I'm choosing to blame it on global warming. LOL

Be as it may, I made the plunge with a Hennessy Jungle Explorer Asym hammock and hex fly. My first night out I was a little dubious with all that extra gear and weight, but that didn't last long. What is normally a 2 hour or so sheltering up took all of 5 minutes and I have to say... one of the best night sleeps I've had in decades. It was quite a strange feeling. I strung the thing up and had to just stand there for a few thinking... "that can't be all" and trying to think of what else I should be doing. I've looked at these hippy tree hugger rigs and chuckled to myself for longer than I can remember, but dang! Who would have thought?

I think the only down side was I slept so hard I lost my fire and that issue has been persisting. I always bank it, but the time interval is so great, I've been loosing it more often than not. I don't think I'm the only one that really dislikes having to spark a new fire first thing in the morning just to get a cuppa. Needless to say... I still have it skinned in my pack and don't see it passing on to the bin any time soon.

Thank you again to your forum members. To the shock cord tensioners, groundhog spikes, carabiner and climber loops, DIY loofa skins, and pack hang techniques... very much appreiated.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Welcome to trees......
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Thank you.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

How true.

Glad to see another hanger poking his head up here.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I think the only down side was I slept so hard I lost my fire and that issue has been persisting. I always bank it, but the time interval is so great, I've been loosing it more often than not. I don't think I'm the only one that really dislikes having to spark a new fire first thing in the morning just to get a cuppa.
    I've started to appreciate the virtues of heating water for hot morning beverages with an alcohol stove. Lightweight cat food / soda can DIY stove plus a few milliliters of fuel + the flick of a Bic = boiling water in 5-6 minutes. Simple.

Welcome to the forum, from another relative newcomer. Have fun experimenting with your new hobby...I know I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
    I've started to appreciate the virtues of heating water for hot morning beverages with an alcohol stove.
    That's not a terrible idea. I've got to come up with something. Be it firing up a larger piece of fuel to bank to last the night or a "quick fire" solution for the morning. I'm kind of going against years of roll, refuel, every few hours reflex actions. In a hammock I've been findining I'm just dead to the world till morning. My vice being my morning cuppa to feel human. I'll tell you what.. my back hits in and I'm just dead to the world it's so incredibly comfortable.

Still a learning process. 43 days in now, but I'm still working out the kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Cheers.
    Cheers on Sidney. Thank you.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Welcome, enjoy it here, great place

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I need my giant cup (16oz) of caffeine in the morning as well and for me an alcohol setup is the way to go, with 2 packets of Starbucks Via or Alpine Start.

Over the years I've gotten away from fire building as it represents, for me, a lot of unnecessary work at the end of a long day of hiking. Far easier to fire up the stove and have hot dinner and drinks in a jiff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to HF from the shadows. Glad to have another fresh face among us.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast