Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Copper Ridge Loop, North Cascades, WA

Recently I did a trip with friends Jim and Lisa to Copper Ridge in North Cascades National Park in Washington. They had wanted to hike this beautiful ridge last year when they were in the area doing part of the Wonderland Trail, but due to all the smoke from last year's forest fires they had to cancel.

This year was a different story and I was lucky that they invited me along to take another crack at it. The weather this year had been somewhat more wet than usual, although it broke crystal clear for the first couple of days, and even on the third day the minimal amount of rain was welcome and provided a nice contrast with the very warm temps the first couple of days. As we anticipated, the wildflowers were right around peak.

The first night we camped at Boundary Camp, then Copper Lake, Indian Creek and finally Boundary Camp again. Jim and Lisa are tent campers, but I was using my hammock and I must say that it takes a bit of creativity to hang at Boundary Camp because the trees in the official camping area are rather small, and at Copper Lake the trees are plenty large but the spaces were rather tight... I use a 10ft hammock and am glad for that because it barely fit! Indian Creek was better with more, and easier, hanging options.

There were a few mosquitoes at Copper Lake but it was cooler and so we were wearing jackets and had head nets, so I needed only a bit of Deet on my hands. Needed a little Deet at Boundary Camp but at Indian Creek I didn't need any, which was rather curious since it was nearest to water and general dampness.

Instead of a blow-by-blow description I'll just post some photos and if anyone has specific questions I'll be happy to address them.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-02-2019 at 09:43.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    So beautiful! This has remained among my all time fav areas ever since I climbed Mt. Baker in 1987.

Interesting about the hammock length. Sounds like might be good areas(at least where the trees are available near the tent sites) for my Hammock Tent 90. It only needs about 6 or 7 ft between trees.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Wow... great photos! Thanks for posting them.

How many days were you guys on the trail?

Who's the manufacturer of the caps y'all are wearing?

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Wish I lived nearby....great looking area for a area to explore.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So beautiful! This has remained among my all time fav areas ever since I climbed Mt. Baker in 1987.

Interesting about the hammock length. Sounds like might be good areas(at least where the trees are available near the tent sites) for my Hammock Tent 90. It only needs about 6 or 7 ft between trees.
    It is an amazing area, and late July thru August is the best time to go based on historical weather patterns.

I don't have any experience at all with the 90deg hammocks but I'd imagine a knowledgeable user could make it work, certainly at Copper Lake and Indian Creek. Although I was tempted to scout out some of the other camps along the way, they were generally a substantial distance off the main trail so I passed on that.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Wow... great photos! Thanks for posting them.

How many days were you guys on the trail?

Who's the manufacturer of the caps y'all are wearing?
    Thanks, and we were on the trail 1/2 day to start (parking area to Boundary) then Boundary to Copper, Copper to Indian, Indian back to Boundary, and then 1/2 day out, so essentially 4 full days.

I was using my Tilley hat, which I hardly ever use for hiking here in the forested East Coast, and my friends in the photos were using their Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure Hats. Good hats and sunscreen are needed with the intense sun and elevation (~5800' avg) along the ridge.

We have enjoyed Bob's company on some really classic hikes and this was no exception. It was a real pleasure to have Bob along with us on our trip to the North Cascades this year. Of course being the awesome guy he is he didn't mention the last minute near catastrophe getting the whole thing off the ground, and I mean literally off the ground lol, right Bob I'll leave it to him to fill you in on the details if he chooses.

We like hiking with Bob because he's squared away and travels light like we do. We have learned alot in his company as he is always inovating and turning the gears upstairs to improve his enjoyment of the sport. Bob says there were some challenging hangs along our hike, more like slightly impossible but inovation and trying a few new tricks won the day.

I don't think my wife and I have every really had a bad hike but trips like the Cascades are like the sweetest of chocolate for candy fiends like us.

Help, couldnt flip my pic upright![/SIZE]
    IMG_3246.jpg[AIMG][/AIMG]
    Last edited by jimmyb; 08-04-2019 at 12:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    Oops, I just drooled a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Oops, I just drooled a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol and thanks! Definitely one for the to-do list!!

Last photo flipped upright:

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    That looks like a wonderful adventure. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Charlotte

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast