Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground envy?

Ground envy?

Hey guys,

I just recently stepped in the hammock world. I've actually never even hung outside, just in my basement. However, I enjoy it a lot and can't wait to get out (should be in a few weeks).

As I have been putting my system together I started giving some other ideas some thought. I grew up loving the woods, and still love them to this day. However, my dreams are filled with journeys above tree line and in vast open plains (Scottish Highlands etc.).

I currently live in Northwest Indiana. The armpit of the US in terms of outdoor activities! I fully intend to move in the next few years once I graduate. I fully intend to chase these dreams and with any luck, I hope to land somewhere within the Rockies.

So, is there a hybrid system out there? Does anyone here share time on the ground and in the trees? Does anyone manage the same dreams I have with a hammock? Any tips, hints, ideas, of systems with the most overlap as to reduce the amount of gear needed?

This is somewhat of an incomplete thought. It's still bouncing around in my head, so feel free to think out loud. That's pretty much what this is.

Thanks for your time.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    If you are thinking that you would spend most of your time in the air, with only a few must ground times, any of the double bottom units would work in a pinch. The DDhammock site and Claytor sites discuss that fact that the hammock can be used as a bivy in a pinch. The concern would be with the wear on the ripstop.

Hope this helps

John

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Nope ... don't see a need to go to ground. If'n they don't have trees ... guess I need to walk a bit further!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If your dreams are of high, lonely places, follow them. If that means you take a tent, and sleep on the ground...<shrug>...it still beats the hell out of a motel in Cleveland.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ...it still beats the hell out of a motel in Cleveland.
    AMEN BROTHER DAVE ... tell it like it is!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; hooks
    I use a DD travel precisely for the reasons you state. I get to scotland as much as I can. I wince when I lay on the ground with ithe DD though. I always put a ccf pad down first, but sand and little bits of rock or sand always seem to crawl in between in the night-sooner or later, I will rip a fatty and fall through a hole one of these has made. It is nice to have the option to use it as a bathtub sheet/emergency bivi, but I find myself planning routes around hangs more and more.
    Sleeping on a lumpy bit of ground vs dreamy nights sleep hangin is no competition.
    I am now thinking WBBB + Bivi bag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Recently i've been thinking that a bridge hammock might be the most versatile.
    If you go to ground both spreader bars together could be used as a single pole to hold up your tarp as your ground shelter and it's probaby the lightest and easiest you can take to ground for the bugnet capacity

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If your dreams are of high, lonely places, follow them. If that means you take a tent, and sleep on the ground...<shrug>...it still beats the hell out of a motel in Cleveland.
    Oh, I hear you on that.

I guess, for me, hanging would be a weekend style outing. Above tree line would probably just be reserved for 1, 2, or 3 (more?) longer trips throughout the year.

Now that I think about it, the top quilt would be the most important item. It would need to be just right for the hammock (not too warm with the inclusion of bottom insulation), but warm enough to be used with a pad throughout the three seasons (winter will be strictly in the trees). Can I get this from one quilt or will one suffice?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by griffins View Post
    Now that I think about it, the top quilt would be the most important item. It would need to be just right for the hammock (not too warm with the inclusion of bottom insulation), but warm enough to be used with a pad throughout the three seasons (winter will be strictly in the trees). Can I get this from one quilt or will one suffice?
    The top quilt is only one part of the whole sleep system. What clothes will you be wearing? Often a good set of skivvies can make a big difference in how warm you will sleep. Also consider whether a top cover will be used. That can add warmth to the sleep environment.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; hooks
    I know some will disagree, but for a system designed to ground dwell and hang, I reckon a sleeping bag/pad is the most versatile. I move around a lot on an uncomfortable, lumpy bed. I would kick a top quilt off quicker than Jet Li having a nightmare.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast