Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Spider Daisy Chain
    Images
    my two cent...
    I don't find it effect's my lay, I get comfortable then IF I need to I reach under and pull it into position, simple, effective and oh so warm and lovely.

Besides the alternative is a mat, I don't care what mat you use it will never be as comfortable in my opinion, as you have to spend time getting it into the correct position and then you may have limbs hanging off it or it may move in the night. Now I know an UQ could move but much easier to get back into position and it covers most of your hammock's underside so it is always keping your warm, sitting moving around whatever, where you have to be constantly on the pad.

I can't see how you would regret getting an UQ and not think it better than a pad.
    A true optimist is someone that plants two acorns and buys a hammock.

Yes, you can still lay at and angle.....It doesn't affect my lay at all, but getting one wide enough to cover you when laying diagonal is in my opinion one of the best ways to get a good sleep where you aren't fighting it all night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can set the UQ on a bias. Meaning tighten footend more toward feet side and the head end more toward head side. I do it my wrapping my primary suspension a time or two extra around my hammock whipping. Can be done with 4 corner suspension or channel suspension.
    See what I am talking about at 2:33 in video below.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    A bit late, but in case it's still of interest: my experience is that it depends on quite a few factors. With all underquilts I have used, I could lie at an angle. But how much of an angle and how comfortable I could lie differed a lot. I used underquilts with primary channel and secondary corner suspension for years, and they worked well enough when the temperatures were higher then 65°F. Since I sleep very, very cold, I started to feel every little air bubble when it got colder and had to tighten the suspension a lot. A tighter suspension means the underquilt is pulled inline stronger, and you start feeling the pressure on your head and feet. The tighter I hung the underquilt, the more I turned inline, too. I always knew that this was the case, but I only realized how much the underquilt affected my lay when I got my first Wooki underquilt. Since this underquilt is designed like an insulated hammock, there is no force needed to turn it diagonally. The only drawback is, that you have to decide whether you are going to lie head left / feet right or head right / feet left before ordering. The direction is fixed. A clew suspension works similar to the Wooki design, but it only works really well on wide underquilts (probably >55") because otherwise it is even more difficult to make it turn. So it doesn't make sense to put a clew on an Incubator because it is too narrow. Believe me, I tried. If I had to get a new underquilt, I would always go for one with a "hammock suspension". The Wooki is the best known, but Simply Light Designs does a synthetic version. And I believe BoneFire does (or did?) a down version, too.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    A bit late, but in case it's still of interest: my experience is that it depends on quite a few factors. With all underquilts I have used, I could lie at an angle. But how much of an angle and how comfortable I could lie differed a lot. I used underquilts with primary channel and secondary corner suspension for years, and they worked well enough when the temperatures were higher then 65°F. Since I sleep very, very cold, I started to feel every little air bubble when it got colder and had to tighten the suspension a lot. A tighter suspension means the underquilt is pulled inline stronger, and you start feeling the pressure on your head and feet. The tighter I hung the underquilt, the more I turned inline, too. I always knew that this was the case, but I only realized how much the underquilt affected my lay when I got my first Wooki underquilt. Since this underquilt is designed like an insulated hammock, there is no force needed to turn it diagonally. The only drawback is, that you have to decide whether you are going to lie head left / feet right or head right / feet left before ordering. The direction is fixed. A clew suspension works similar to the Wooki design, but it only works really well on wide underquilts (probably >55") because otherwise it is even more difficult to make it turn. So it doesn't make sense to put a clew on an Incubator because it is too narrow. Believe me, I tried. If I had to get a new underquilt, I would always go for one with a "hammock suspension". The Wooki is the best known, but Simply Light Designs does a synthetic version. And I believe BoneFire does (or did?) a down version, too.
    It will be hard to get me to turn away from my Wookie underquilt...

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafer View Post
    This is exactly the info I was after,due to 4 back surgeries,a flat lay is essential for my comfort.I am 5’8”,perhaps I can get the flat lay if my underquilt is wide enough.
    If you're still looking, I have a long & wide down UQ in the for sale section.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12