Thread: Quilt question

Quilt question

IÂ’m kinda new to hanging. I made camps as a kid and car camped all my adult life In tents. IÂ’m 62 and took up backpacking, imagine that.
    I have a question. I recently bought a regular or original war bonnet hammock. I have two underquilts in mind for three season hanging, the war bonnet 20 degree wookie and the hammock gear 20 premium Phoenix. Can you successfully vent the wookie? Will the Phoenix work on the war bonnet? Is this a question I should ask the quilt makers. IÂ’m ignorant, help me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Yes you can vent a wooki. Several you tube videos. Essentially from what I've seen you can attach a line to your continuous loop on the foot endand then make a prussic knot onto that. Attach the wooki to the prussic and then you can slide that up or down to have it up tight or vented down a bit. As for the incubator quilt, it will absolutely work with the warbonnet hammock. I have an eldorado ( their XLC minus the shelf) and use a zero degree wooki or a 20 degree incubator. One thing I have noticed is that the wooki seems particular to having the hammock hung near perfect vs the incubator gives u some wiggle room in it's adjustments.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    First off, welcome!

Second...you're comparing a full length vs a 3/4 length from different vendors. Are you looking at comparing full to 3/4? Or vendor to vendor?

Anyways, I picked up a WB Eldorado a few months back and it works just fine with my Phoenix. I've never tried the Wooki or Yeti, but from what I've seen (check out Shug on YT, search on Wooki) with the way they attach to the WB I don't think you could easily vent them, at least not while you're in the hammock. However, whenever I get too warm I just vent with the top quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Sorry for the mix up on my reply. I thought I read incubator in your post. I now see it says Phoenix. Lol.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegil View Post
    IÂ’m kinda new to hanging. I made camps as a kid and car camped all my adult life In tents. IÂ’m 62 and took up backpacking, imagine that.
    I have a question. I recently bought a regular or original war bonnet hammock. I have two underquilts in mind for three season hanging, the war bonnet 20 degree wookie and the hammock gear 20 premium Phoenix. Can you successfully vent the wookie? Will the Phoenix work on the war bonnet? Is this a question I should ask the quilt makers. IÂ’m ignorant, help me.
    You can vent the Wookie for sure. See it in the video below at 5:14 in....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug. I have enjoyed your Your YouTube channel. I subscribed to your channel sometime back. This was the first time I saw this particular video. This helps. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CLSR--000 View Post
    Yes you can vent a wooki. Several you tube videos. Essentially from what I've seen you can attach a line to your continuous loop on the foot endand then make a prussic knot onto that. Attach the wooki to the prussic and then you can slide that up or down to have it up tight or vented down a bit. As for the incubator quilt, it will absolutely work with the warbonnet hammock. I have an eldorado ( their XLC minus the shelf) and use a zero degree wooki or a 20 degree incubator. One thing I have noticed is that the wooki seems particular to having the hammock hung near perfect vs the incubator gives u some wiggle room in it's adjustments.

Thanks, I love the thought of the simplicity of the wookie. I love the adjustments, compressibility and weight saving of the 3/4 Phoenix. I just don’t want to have trouble adjusting the Phoenix on my Warbonnet Blackbird

Images
    Disclaimer: I've only had the Blackbird XLC for about 2 weeks. I've had it hung in my garage continuously and have been trying different quilts and such with it.

With a "typical" underquilt like an Incubator/Phoenix that has a primary suspension of shock cord running through channels on the sides of the quilt that then attach to the continuous loops at the ends of the hammock, I've noticed an issue that I've never had using that type of quilt on any other gathered end hammock. I've tried it with a 3/4 and a full length UQ on the Blackbird XLC and I have the same issue with either length UQ. The issue I have is that the shock cord for the primary suspension presses up against the side and/or back of my head, at the spot where my head ends up in the XLC. Although a pillow somewhat alleviates the problem, it's still a situation that for me is unique to using those quilts on the XLC and not other hammocks. The "sweet spot" in the XLC has the center of one's body much closer to the head end of the hammock than the foot end, and so my head is fairly close to the end of the hammock, where the shock cord is meeting in a "V" shape.

The Blackbird (original or XLC) has a uniquely shaped net that when attached to the hammock creates an asymmetric shape that's very distinct to that particular hammock. Without the net, the hammock itself is just a symmetrical rectangle of fabric, like most other hammocks. I've not tried these quilts on the XLC without the bugnet, to see if I still have the same issue. I suspect, though, that either the body position being far toward the head end or the unique asymmetric shape of the Blackbird with net must be the root of the problem (or I'm just a goof).

I don't know if others have had the same experience when using a "typical" underquilt and not the Wooki. I also don't know if you'd notice the same on the original Blackbird, since it's a little shorter than the XLC. I do know that the XLC is an 11' hammock and all the other hammocks I've used with those quilts are also 11'.

I now have a Wooki on order and I suspect I won't have the same problem, since there's no shock cord and the quilt/hammock are made for one another.

Thanks, I was concerned about having some issues. This helps

• + New Posts