Double vs single layer

I just started trying to find the ideal hammock for me, and I tried out a Warbonnet XLC DL, a Dutchware Chameleon Wide DL, and a Dream Hammock Raven SL (58" wide). I found the Raven the most comfortable with the least calf ridge. I'm starting to think that I like the stretch of a single layer. Do others find less calf ridge with single layer hammocks compared to double layer ones? I'm not in love with the net on the Raven and 58" seems a bit on the narrow side, so I think I would like to keep looking. Any thoughts? Btw, I'm 5'10" and ~265 lbs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorPaddler View Post
    I just started trying to find the ideal hammock for me, and I tried out a Warbonnet XLC DL, a Dutchware Chameleon Wide DL, and a Dream Hammock Raven SL (58" wide). I found the Raven the most comfortable with the least calf ridge. I'm starting to think that I like the stretch of a single layer. Do others find less calf ridge with single layer hammocks compared to double layer ones? I'm not in love with the net on the Raven and 58" seems a bit on the narrow side, so I think I would like to keep looking. Any thoughts? Btw, I'm 5'10" and ~265 lbs.
    I find less calf ridge in a double layer hammock. Funny how every hammock is different to every person. My next will be a chameleon double layer. How do you like the wide DL chameleon? Roomy,?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Chameleon Wide is too wide for me at 5'10", but I do like how roomy it is. When staked out, it's not so bad, but I haven't dialed in the best way to stake it. With the Warbonnet, I never had any problems with fabric or net in the way, regardless of how I staked it, but sometimes I would still have fabric in my face on the chameleon, but I haven't spent a lot of time in it yet.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I find less calf ridge with stiffer fabrics, regardless of how many layers. Stretchy hammocks give me the most calf ridge.

BTW, I like 56" wide,11' long hammocks. I'm 6'-1" and just shy of 200#.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just picked up a Warbonnet Eldorado lightweight double layer and have found it to have less calf ridge than some other single-layer gathered-end hammocks. (I’ve also tried the XLC 1.7 single-layer and a Chameleon single-layer.). I surmise that the double-layer has less stretch and therefore less calf ridge. But as mentioned everyone’s different (size, weight, and perception of what they like or don’t like in how a hammock feels). And of course there’s a jillion different fabrics, deniers, etc etc that affect a hammock’s characteristics. Personally I’m a double-layer Ridgerunner fan. Zero calf ridge.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think I like the stretch/give of a single layer a little better after I learned to trust it. I started out with Double Layers because they are supposed to be more mosquito proof and I'd have the option of using a pad instead of an UQ. Before I realized how easy it is to carry a ¾ UQ, I figured I'd only be bringing a pad because it would work for both hammock and ground.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I guess I will just have to keep trying out different hammocks!

I am 5' 11'' at around 215 pounds. I have a double layer chameleon and absolutely love it compared to some single layer hammocks I have laid in. It has no calf ridge for me. Silly question: are you sure that you are laying in it correctly? I have found that a diagonal lay along with using my foot to "scoot" the excess fabric away from under my legs is what really eliminates the ridge. Good luck!

No, it's not a silly question. I'm not 100% sure that I'm laying in the wide Chameleon correctly. I tried a lot of positions and adjusted foot vs head height, etc. There's a lot of room for movement and different angles in it, and it's not uncomfortable. It's just that with the Raven, I easily slip into a comfortable spot, and I'm trying to figure out what makes it so much more comfortable for me than the others because I think there's still room for improvement. I won't give up on the wide Chameleon yet, though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I think I've come to the conclusion, in my own mind anyway, that calf ridge is very subjective and definitely influenced by a lot of variables. Having the suspension dialed in just right is one of them, as is your position and angle in the hammock. Sometime my XLC DL has none and some times there's a noticeable ridge. I know when I set up I'm usually tired or in a hurry and I just get it close (SRL anywhere between thud and banjo tight) and that surely plays a role. Taking the time to evenly distribute the fabric under me also affects it. I have a feeling that body proportionality plays a huge part; long vs short torso, pear shape vs hour glass vs plank, top heavy vs bottom heavy. I've played with enough different end whip configurations to know you can dial it out or make it worse just based on how the ends are gathered. You really only have a few ways to influence a netted hammock. You can change the SRL length for gross adjustments. You can tweak strap tension/angle for minor adjustments. Or, you can shift body position and angle with respect to the hammock. Failing that, you have to change length/width of the hammock which unfortunately means a different hammock. There are some golden rations that help versatility, but you're still trying to take a flat piece of semi-elastic fabric and make it fit the complex contours of your body shape. There's just no way there aren't going to be higher and lower pressure areas (felt ridges and valleys) somewhere along your length. You've got to play with the variables available to you to make those better fit you for comfort. That said, I'm your size and weight and I love my XLC. The only thing I've got that's more comfortable is a DIY tablecloth that I dialed in the whipped end configuration just for me, but it doesn't have a bugnet or a shelf so it seldom goes anywhere besides the backyard or midday hangs in the park.

• + New Posts