Hammock
    DIY 11' hammock
    Insulation
    Frankenbag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

XL Hammock With Bugnet Question

Hey everyone, my first post (woo). I'm looking at getting a bunch of material from RBTR whilst a friend of mine is staying in the US (I'm in the UK and domestic shipping is so much cheaper!). So I want to make sure I order the right materials and in the right quantities. I'm currently looking at making a DL XL hammock with sewn in bug net (following Jellyfish's amazing Nova hammock tutorial on Youtube).

At the moment I'm torn between 1.6 HyperD XL and 2.2 Hex70 XL. Weight isn't so much of an issue for me as I'm only really going to use it for Scout camping.

My question is, has anyone made the same kind of hammock and had any issues with the width of the bugnet material? If so how did you overcome it? Do I need more than 3/4 yards of noseeum?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 DIY
    Tarp
    11' .9 sil winter
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    I made mine with no issues, I did have my girlfriend drape the netting while I layed in it, so the netting stayed off my face while using the hammock.

If you find that the bugnet material is too narrow, you could always buy twice as much as you'd otherwise need, sew the two pieces together side by side, then trim to the required width. The surplus, whether you use it or not, could go to something like a catch-all sack or some snakeskins, so it wouldn't be wasted. You can also get mosquito netting (and other things, though not as good a selection as RSBTR) at domestic shipping costs from ExtremTextil.de, if you find that you need more later.

Jellyfish also has a pattern for an extra wide version on her website, so that might be worth a look.

Hammock
    DIY 11' hammock
    Insulation
    Frankenbag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the tips, so I've now got to the point of basically following Jellyfish's nova hammock instructions just with the XL fabric. Got really excited that I was onto the bugnet draping part only to be met with the issue that it is definitely not wide enough for the hammock. Will need to order more material and effectively sew together like a tarp, I can't see any other way unless I sacrifice the width to come up and meet the net... which will only work if I dont tie out the hammock sides... I would attach photos but I didn't take any. It was starting to rain as I got to the point of realisation

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've done more hammocks than I can count...

Standard with noseeum is fine for a an XL hammock. Once your hammock is done, end gather and ridge line are finished, suspend the hammock inside out and work on pinning it that way. Far easier, even with zippers being installed.

Hyper D 1.6 is my number one fabric.. I've made three (maybe four) hammocks of various design, all in Hyper D 1.6. I've tried Robic 1.2 and have tried quite a few heavier, and I keep coming back to Hyper D. Just seems to be the right blend of texture, weight, stretch, easy of handling...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts