Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    A guy can drive 10d nails with a sledge hammer. It is really nice to have that sledge hammer if on occassion you had to drive a railroad spike. It would be hard to drive a railroad spike with a 20 oz hammer so you better get a sledge hammer for the once or twice you'll drive railroad spike. A sledge hammer will be kind of sucky for the 100's of 10d nails you'll drive but, it will work.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Thanks everybody for the comments, Eventually I'll have to get an Underquilt for my wbbb, so I guess I'll be looking for one in the 20* range.
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    A guy can drive 10d nails with a sledge hammer. It is really nice to have that sledge hammer if on occassion you had to drive a railroad spike. It would be hard to drive a railroad spike with a 20 oz hammer so you better get a sledge hammer for the once or twice you'll drive railroad spike. A sledge hammer will be kind of sucky for the 100's of 10d nails you'll drive but, it will work.
    Eh...what? Wrong tab I'm guessing? Or is there a metaphor in your comment that I'm missing?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BestUsernameInTheWorld View Post
    ..... Or is there a metaphor in your comment that I'm missing?
    It's analogy about overkill... (if you need a 0 degree quilt for 2 cold nights a year, but you're out there 80 nights a year in milder weather, it's like owning only a sledge hammer when almost everything you hit is a 10d nail, just so you have it for those 2 railroad spikes someday...)

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Thanks everybody for the comments, Eventually I'll have to get an Underquilt for my wbbb, so I guess I'll be looking for one in the 20* range.Eh...what? Wrong tab I'm guessing? Or is there a metaphor in your comment that I'm missing?

Metaphor = using a sledge hammer to do work of hammer

20* quilt = Hammer
    0* quilt = Sledge hammer

Take home message is both would do fine but the few occasions you camp below 20* you would need supplemental Insulation to stay warm if you purchased the 20* - If you go 0* you would have to vent your system in most camping situations so as not to overheat but would be covered in almost any camping situation down to about 0*. Personal choice - I recommend you identify the majority of the situations where you will be camping - If you don't plan on going below 20* very often stick with the 20* quilt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Thanks everybody for the comments, Eventually I'll have to get an Underquilt for my wbbb, so I guess I'll be looking for one in the 20* range.Eh...what? Wrong tab I'm guessing? Or is there a metaphor in your comment that I'm missing?

Thought it was overly obvious; Get the right tool for the job. You can make the wrong tool work but, it will be a huge pain in the tookus.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Metaphor = using a sledge hammer to do work of hammer

20* quilt = Hammer
    0* quilt = Sledge hammer

Take home message is both would do fine but the few occasions you camp below 20* you would need supplemental Insulation to stay warm if you purchased the 20* - If you go 0* you would have to vent your system in most camping situations so as not to overheat but would be covered in almost any camping situation down to about 0*. Personal choice - I recommend you identify the majority of the situations where you will be camping - If you don't plan on going below 20* very often stick with the 20* quilt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I was a little slow today. I saw him talking about hammers and I was thinking "What the heck?"

Images
    Another old saying (maybe also a metaphor?): there is more than one way to skin a cat. Quite a number in fact. The 20* TQ or UQ, or even the 30 or 40F quilts, can be vastly extended in range on those rare (if they indeed are rare) occasions when actually needed. Layering both clothing or quilts/bags, pads partial or full length, UQ protectors(at least keeps the wind and rain from decreasing ratings so much), hot water bottles, and various combinations of all of the above.

Conversely, even if the 0* is rarely needed, If below 20 or 30F is quite common, then you can just get the 0F and forget about all of the above. You have it covered, and at least for the UC it is not hard to use it at much warmer temps. (quite a bit trickier for trying to use a 0F TQ at 40F or 50F though). So you can just get the 0F UQ, carry it most of the year, carry a few oz more and pay a few $ more and take up a bit more of your pack room, and be done with it.

Who s to say which is correct? What is your personal preference? Whatever that is, go for it.

Now, with a full length JRB MW4 UQ under a JRB bridge- I did wake up soaked in sweat one April night in NC, unseasonably warm weather. I can't remember how warm, but def warmer that average for that time of year. Bailed and joined my wife in the AC'ed RV. But that was probably mostly due to the 20F TQ. Too cool for just clothing on top, but way to warm for the 20F TQ. But with just a cotton home blanket, I probably would have been just fine with the 0F UQ. Or, with a gathered hammock and a partial length UQ, I could have easily vented by moving the quilt more towards my head, or loosening the suspension.

I guess the choice mostly just depends on what you value most: light weight, bulk and low cost, vs all contingencies covered and can still probably get by at warm temps with that 0F UQ. Either approach will get the job done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    'cause it sucks to be too hot almost as much as it sucks to be cold

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    0* full length UQ are uncomfortably hot if it’s not freezing. 0* 3/4 length if it might freeze, and 20* 3/4 length is great if it won’t freeze. That’s my simple selection advice.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have all three - 0, 20, 40 degree UQ's. If I could have only one, it would be the 20 degree. It is not too warm (¾ length) in the summer and with UQP, or full sock, or tarp with doors, it can work well into winter.

Why carry the weight, bulk, and possible discomfort, of a 0 degree bag that is really only necessary a few times a year. If I were starting over, AND the WBBB was my only or primary hammock, I'd consider the 20 degree wookie.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast