Thread: First Overnight

First Overnight

I bought my warbonnet blackbird three years ago, and I'm sad to say that last night was my first overnight in it. I had hung in it plenty of times before, but never actually camped in it. Well the wife is out of town, so I figured what better time. I packed everything up, and headed to the local state park to set up camp and do some fishing. This is also the first time that I have set up my tarp. I was a little nervous about setup, but youtube and these forums are a wonderful thing! Not bad for my first time if I do say so myself. I know I hung it too tight, there was not much movement in the ridgeline, and I also felt like I was too low. But I could not reach any higher to hang the hammock any higher, and if I loosened it any, I was basically on the ground. Any tips on that regard? Looking forward to getting out there again, but much sooner this time!
    IMG_3814.jpgIMG_3815.jpg
    Last edited by kangarhew; 07-28-2019 at 23:02.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

First Overnight

Congratulations looks great! I remember my first hammock camping and it was also with the Blackbird. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: to your question on height. The farther the trees, the higher you need to place the straps. If you can’t find any trees closer apart, try to move up the straps higher up with trekking poles, bars or a sturdy stick.
    Last edited by alt.thomas; 07-28-2019 at 23:33.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Congrats on finally getting out. The more you do, the more you’ll want to go.
    A night in the woods is so rejuvenating.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    You might want to check out the Yates Place Fall Back hang this October. It's about an hour from Charlotte and lots of other from the forum are there with all their different setups and a wealth of knowledge. They'll be able to help you troubleshoot your setup, give pointers, and you can see how everyone else hangs.
    My first time there was this past March and I had a great time with them all.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Its tough in the state parks to hang, being that trees are cleared for campsites and you're supposed to hang over the pads. Looks like you did a perfect job with hammock at chair height. Because you have a ridgeline, you don't have to worry so much about the 30 degree angle and can go over longer distance than normal tree spacing.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    One thing that has helped me is to measure my step length (~3 ft) and then using the hang calculator work out my minimum and maximum tree spacing in terms of steps that I can hang from. This takes into account the highest I can reach without assistance. So for me I can fit between trees from 4 to 6 steps apart. I did 7 steps this past weekend and I couldn't quite get the height I needed to reach sitting height, I was a little low.

Long story short, knowing this information can help find those ideal pairs of trees a little faster.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

• + New Posts