SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ridge Runner questions

At home, I'm an avid stomach sleeper. Sometimes I'll roll onto a side, but if I end up on my back, I tend to snore or at least breathe weird and wake up with a sore throat.

Camping, I use a Dutch netless and can sleep with reasonable comfort on my back, but still wake with a bit of a sore throat most mornings. I'm thinking I'd like to give a bridge hammock a try to see if I can stomach sleeping in a hammock a reality.

The ridge Runner seems to be the most readily available bridge. If I were to put an insulated self-inflating pad into the sleeve of a double layer RR, would/should that give me a relatively flat, stomach-compatible lay? Would the double layer even be needed? I mean, laying the pad right in the hammock would allow it to shift around a bit.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may or may not get a good stomach lay on RR. Seems to vary from what I have read.
    The best stomach sleeping hammock I own is the Amok Draumr. See at 4 minutes into video below.
    Truly pretty flat. Keep in mind that I am not a stomach sleeper though.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Truly pretty flat. Keep in mind that I am not a stomach sleeper though.
    Shug

I am a stomach sleeper, the Draumr is a godsend for this reason.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ridge Runner questions

hrm...I see what you're saying there, but that's like buying into a whole new ecosystem. By the time you add in a "compatible pad" (pretty sure my 2" thick self-inflating pad is not), that's $300. I guess I'd have to get out to a group hang or something to try one out. I was thinking the RR because it's a much smaller investment and would be easier to resell if it doesn't suit me any better than what I've got, especially if I could find one used.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I’m not a stomach sleeper, but I have put a thermarest neoair all season pad in the pad sleeve of my RR and that flattened everything out. I briefly lay on my stomach so I know it is possible, but I didn’t do it for more than a few minutes as that’s not my thing. If you have a lengthwise-chambered pad it should work even better. I side sleep and use an under quilt now.

Likewise a Jacks R Better bridge hammock I used to own flattened right out in a similar way. So theoretically you should be able to stomach sleep in one of those, too. Both the JRB and the RR are great bridge hammocks.

I hope some stomach sleepers chime in here. Or you get the chance to go to some local hang events and try them out.

i have a RR and if i try to sleep on my stomach i find i have to lay my arms beside me and just lay with my head to one side or another. if i lay my head on my arms its kind of awkward and puts stress on my back. the only thing with the pad is it does make the hammock more tippy.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    IF you are going for the RR I recommend budgeting for the matching underquilt - it makes thing so much easier. waking with a dry throat is one of those hammock camping "Cons" that is seldom mentioned. perhaps you can have a small water bottle with you and take a drink if you wake up at night. I haven't spent as much time as I'd like in my RR - mostly in GE's. But by morning, in a GE, I'm so relaxed I just fetal up into the middle.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I can sleep on my stomach in the RR. If the hang angles are shallow enough, the hammock is flat enough. For reference, I'm 6'2" and about 250.

I tried a pad in the hammock and hated it. Get a nice UQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    I started as a stomach sleeper but sleeping in the RR has actually turned me more into a side sleeper, even at home. It's REALLY comfortable. You'll definitely get a flatter lay with the pad but it's also a bit more "tippy" which I didn't love, others don't seem to mind. Also, the double layer RR with any kind of suspension is going to run you well over $200 so I'm not sure the cost difference from the AD is as much as you might think.

http://www.hammocktent.com/en this thing looks pretty cool, could probably lay on your stomach in it. The tarp is multi function as the whole system can go to ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast