Images

Help me choose the best ultralight hardware setup for my custom dyneema tarp

Hi everyone, what is your favorite ultralight combo of guylines, adjustment doohickies, and tensioners on a tarp?

In my quest for going ultralight, I’m decided to splurge on a Hammock Gear dyneema standard tarp with doors. Which guyline adjustment hardware should I have HG sew to my tarp? Options include any potential combination of “Beastie D-rings,” Lineloc 3’s, or hardware that I provide to HG (e.g., Lineloc V). The tarp itself has (2) Ridgeline Tie Outs, (8) Perimeter Tie Outs (including the 4 doors), as well as (4) Panel Pull Outs.

My Priorities are lightweight, ease-of-use, and reliability. I plan on incorporating tensioners (such as shock cord) on the guylines, and would appreciate suggestions for setup/methods.

I’m currently using a tarp with Lineloc 3’s and Kelty Triptease. It’s been a frustrating experience because under tension and gusty conditions, the triptease frequently loosens.

Ideally, I would love to use something super ultralight for the perimeter lines (such as Dutchware 1.2mm dutch wire), and something a little stronger for the ridge line. (I love the dutch wire as it's very tangle resistant, a little stiffer which I find easier to knot, and it's extremely compact and lightweight). Also, I need to be able to adjust the ridge line guylines down to zero length, since I will be using it with a Tensa solo). Note: Dutchware 1.2mm Dutch wire is only 100lbs strength...is that too risky for perimeter tie outs?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use the same setup on both my HG Standard with doors and HG Palace. Priority is as light and simple as possible. Easy to work with cold, wet, tired hands.. in the dark.

DutchwareGear Tarp Worms, Z-Packs 1.2 Reflective Z-Line and shock cord on the doors. About as simple as it can get.

No tensioners needed.

Split ridge lines with a spliced evo loop at the tree end and mini-ucrs girth hitched to split rings at the ridge tie outs. Also stupid simple.

Both tarps are in HG mesh snake skins.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Shock cord on silnylon is one of those myths that haven't worked for me. Shock cord on cuben fiber? Totally unnecessary. I also can't fathom line locs or any other guyline hardware. The guylines are larksheaded onto the tarp and I use a marlin spike hitch on the stakes.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I went with zpacks zline on the 4 main tie outs and shock cord on the doors with Line Lock Hooks from Dutch.

I use an marlin spike hitch to connect the guylines to the stake. Simple.
    Of course there are a few hundred ways to do this.

• + New Posts