Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backcountry lightweight hammok

I'm looking at getting my first hammok and there are so many options, I'm needing help! Haha. I'm 6'1 210lbs, plan on going backcountry elk hunting, so like it to be a light weight system as I'll have other gear to carry. Would like a bug net, don't know which is better, all in one or a separate bug net? Temps will be in the 30°s at night so will need some form of insulation. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are several vendors that make top-notch light hammocks with removable bugnets.
    Warbonnet
    Dutchwaregear
    Dreamhammock

A good 20º underquilt would be the most versatile for your expected low temps.
    Hammockgear has very good Econ uqs. Duck down
    Or many vendors offer premium goose down uqs.
    Full length or partial length.
    Just browse around the Hammock Gear Manufacturers section on this site for some insight. Check the Specs for hammock options on weights. Fabric choices, double or single layer.

Of course you can get some knock-off stuff on Amazon but in the end you may end up buying twice or thrice.

Be patient and enjoy the hammock quest.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I prefer separate bugnets: I don't get bitten thru the hammock fabric and I don't have to pack it if bugs aren't a concern.

Dutch's hammocks are a great value. The 1.6oz Hexon is where I would start if I were you.

Take this with a grain of salt: Shug's "be patient" advice is good.

Have fun!

Thanks for the input guys, Dutch was one I was looking at along with HH. I like the idea of a ridgeline to hold the net up along with lights and what not. That can be added to any hammok correct?

Also anyone try outdoor vitals? I like their bug net as it has a splash gauge. Think a pad could be slipped in there as insulation if I'm not mistaken. Their hammocks look nice also and on sale.

I'm not wanting to go cheap just to redue it all next year, but I'm also just using it a few times a yeah also...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbike11811 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, Dutch was one I was looking at along with HH. I like the idea of a ridgeline to hold the net up along with lights and what not. That can be added to any hammok correct?

Also anyone try outdoor vitals? I like their bug net as it has a splash gauge. Think a pad could be slipped in there as insulation if I'm not mistaken. Their hammocks look nice also and on sale.

I'm not wanting to go cheap just to redue it all next year, but I'm also just using it a few times a yeah also...

A pad can slip between any double layer hammock so not exclusive to just OV.
    Here are some threads on Outdoor Vital gear to give you a taste....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rchid=11091182

Yes, you can add lights for sure....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...-party-lights/

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/19enoutwlghtcmplgodr/19enoutwlghtcmplgodr?camp=CSESG_9270004093608523 1_pla_pla-4583176784677396&msclkid=43fde39f01131e7fe3b9bea2d e678aa7&gclid=CIuf09mV2OMCFc2oZQod18gGDA&gclsrc=ds

Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

yes a ridgeline can be added to any hammock and is a must have to be able to use most bugnets (attached or separate)
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

I'm looking at getting my first hammok and there are so many options, I'm needing help! Haha. I'm 6'1 210lbs, plan on going backcountry elk hunting, so like it to be a light weight system as I'll have other gear to carry. Would like a bug net, don't know which is better, all in one or a separate bug net? Temps will be in the 30°s at night so will need some form of insulation. Any help would be appreciated.
    In addition to Shug's excellent suggestions and that of Otter1, some other manufacturers you might look at include Hammockgear, who now offer netted hammocks in addition to their other gear and Arrowhead Equipment, who offer hammocks, quilts and complete packages. I'm not affiliated with either but have bought from both and can recommend them without reservation. The suggested 1.6 weight for the fabric is an excellent one. You could go with 1.9 or higher for a firmer feel or more margin but you don't really need it and staying in the 1.6 range will keep the weight of the hammock down a smidge.

If temps are in the 30s, do you really need mosquito netting? If you do, or you think you do, the lightest option is a HUG or half bug net. Arrowhead sells one. Next lightest would be a sewn on or included netting, such as the Darien from Dream Hammock. Heaviest option is a full coverage net, like the bottom entry bug net sold by Dutchware, but you can leave it at home if it's not needed and save 6-7 ounces and a bit of bulk.

Good quality 20 degree quilts or a 20 degree top quilt and a pad with an R-value of 4 or above should be sufficient for warmth. Watch Shug's videos and see what gear he's using. It's all quality stuff. And I second his suggestion of patience and deliberation prior to plunking down the cash.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Simply LIght Designs might be worth looking at too: their starter package is just about the best one going, and you can add a butnet to it and still have the cost near $100 for everything but insulation.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I'd cross Outdoor Vitals off the list. It's made-in-China gear, and if you watch their videos (as I have) they really don't know much about hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a chameleon hammock from Dutch wear Monday. Can't wait to try it out

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast