Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies

Recommended trail sections in Linville Gorge?

Hey everyone,

I'm from out west in Utah but really wanting to plan a trip down to the Linville Gorge for a week or so and see as much as I can while I'm there. Are there any particular routes you veterans and gorge rats would recommend?

I'm planning pretty far ahead for this, at least a year or two out, but I'm trying to get as much info on the area as I can so I know what to prep and save $$$ for. Thanks everyone, and happy hanging!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would recommend joining up at linvillegorge.net for the best info, routes, maps and info on permits.
    Since you have a week you could see a lot.

Down Conely Cove is a great first time run in the Gorge. Go either north or south at the bottom on Linville River Trail and camp and come back out Conely.

Go down Conely to South Linville River Trail. Then up, and I do mean up Pinchin. Then take Rock Jock Trail back to Conely trailhead. That will give you a good taste. You will need a permit for weekends if camping in the wilderness.

Another is go to Shortoff Mountain. Park at Wolf Pit and hike up and there is a lot of camping up there. Check the water situation. Top notch views.

Table Rock to Shortoff is a great route.

So many options there.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    My boys and I went down there last year and did a complete loop around the gorge. We did about 65 miles and saw most of the sights there. We wanted to see as much as we could while we were there as we might not get a chance to come back as we try to go to a new place each year on our week long big trip.

The gorge can be rough and you won't get as many miles in a day as you might think you will. Like Shug said above, visit the linville gorge site above. There is a lot of great info there and the people are great about helping you. Study the maps so that you have a good idea of where you are going, there are a lot of unofficial trails and some of them might not be in the best of shape. We went in October after a couple of hurricanes went through the area in September so there were some trees down. The good thing about it is that there was water everywhere.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Thank you guys! I'll definitely check that site out Shug, and heading up Pinchin is exactly what I'm lookin to do, the views I've seen are simply spectacular. I hadn't even considered the hurricane season and how it would affect the area, so thanks a lot for bringing that up SM1056!

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Here's a link to the "Is That All You Got" Loop that I do 3 or 4 times a year which is about 23 miles (and gorge miles are different than regular trail miles). I usually hike around 2.5-3 miles per hour on a regular trails and average 1.5-2 in the gorge. It can be done in 2 days, but 3 or 4 allows you to enjoy the views (and they are plentiful). Make sure to check the water flow of the Linville River before planning on crossing (especially at Spence Ridge). Anything over 200cfm makes for a dangerous crossing.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/linville-itayg

Here is a link to another loop on the west side of the gorge. Just as grueling, but great scenery. You don't have to cross the river on this loop, though. Lots of places on both to hang hammocks.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/ma...p-january-2019

There is also the Grand Loop that somebody else mentioned if you have the time that takes you up to the falls. The gorge rats at linvillegorge.net have gps tracks for every trail out there including the loops.

I'm sure that you will enjoy. It's one of my favorite places on the east coast.

IMG_0440 - Copy.jpg

• + New Posts