Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas

DIY Hammock stands

It's been awhile since I have posted here but I have always lurked in the shadows from time to time. I have been scouring this site as well as the net to find an easy to build, easy to store, and easy to set up hammock stand for car camping. There seems to be a lot of diy turtle dog stands being built. I have contemplated building one but just haven't pulled the trigger yet because there is just something about it that just doesn't sit right with me, probably the long legs that don't break down for storage or hauling in the car. Today while searching youtube I saw Shug reveiw the Hammeck stand and I was intriged as to the simplicity of it and the ease of set up, as well as it's relatively compact size while stored as compared the the turtle dog stand. Of course I immidiately checked out the Hammeck websit and found out that they are no longer in bussiness. I then read the reasons in the manufacturer and services section. Thats sad to hear but I wish them the best in their adventures.
    As I mentioned will be using this for the back yard and car camping so weight is not an issue. The reveiws seemed good on this stand so this is the stand I will be making. I'm surprised though why there are not more of these made in the DIY section. Are there any that have built a diy version of this stand?

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Have you looked into the diy tensahedron stand? There are a few of us with threads on here with them. There are easy to build and pack down fairly small. They just weigh a bit much but that shouldn't be a problem if you are car camping.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Yes I have looked at them, they are pretty cool but don't they need tie outs to an anchor in the ground on each end. The thing I really like about the Hammeck design is that it is totally free standing with out any tie outs. I am 250 lbs and that would put a large strain on the ground anchors the tensahedron needs. The camp sites bases around here are really hard and I can barely get a skinny tent peg in the ground without bending it let alone a large enough anchor to keep the tensahedron stand from collapsing.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    It does require at least one anchor on the foot end. I have tied it off to picnic tables or large rocks at camp sites. As for weight I'm 240 and have no issues with weight. I frequently nap in mine with my son, who is 20 lbs, putting us at total weight of 260 lbs. Still no issues.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    I might have to look into it a bit more. Thanks

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    The stress applied to the anchors of the tensa stand is nowhere near the stress on tree straps. I have tied off to couches and door hinges and have had no issue. I use my tensa stand in my basement most of the time. Once you are the hammock that is on the stand it is smooth sailing from there. Just make sure you get in and out on the proper side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two of the Hammeck stands, each with the 2 foot extension. They are the most stable stand I know of. They are also the heaviest stand I know of. Even so I wouldn't take anything for them, Tim Meck did a good thing when he developed that stand.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    That is exactly what I am wanting to build, great job. Thanks. I checked out the link to the place you got the fittings from and they want over $100 just for the shipping of the fittings to Canada. I have searched the web for a similar place in Canada and couldn't find any. Just my luck, but I will keep looking. If anyone knows of a place in Canada where I can get canopy frame fittings please let me know.

I do have some 1.75" and 1.5" tubing that I have left over from another project but its 0.95" wall thickness which would make the stand fairly heavey. The 1.5" nests really nice into the 1.75. But being that I have it already and the stand will only be used in my back yard or while car/truck camping, I might just give it a go.
    Last edited by Bstomper; 07-26-2019 at 03:11.

Hammock
    Townsend Big Guy
    Tarp
    thunderfly
    Insulation
    Klymit/KAQ
    Suspension
    Several
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...69#post1945569

Might want to look at this hammock stand. It's the same principle as the Hammeck but with different leg fastners. Might be able to find them locally.

• + New Posts