Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Finally able to use my Sparrow!

A couple months ago my Sparrow finally came in the mail.

Used it in the back yard a few times, but got it in during the middle of a move so was not able to really test it until last weekend.

It is great, couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Material, options, colors, quality, it is all fantastic. Happy the Dream Hammock Sparrow was my final decision.

I do have a question though that I was hoping someone would have some insight on though.

If I lay in the hammock head left, feet right there is barely no to very minimal calf ridge. Certainly not as bad as others I have used, and barely noticeable (if noticeable at all) when in my top quilt. But if I switch it up (head right feet left) the hammock have a very noticeable and unavoidable calf ridge. Worse than almost any other hammock I have been in.

This isn't a deal breaker for me as one side is as close to perfect as I think you can get, but curious if anyone has also had this issue, or if there may be something I am doing wrong. It has a symmetrical bug net and over cover, so I don't think that would be the issue. You can find a link with the exact measurements below.

I used the Ultimate Hang calculator, ensured the ridgeline is not too taught, double and quadruple checked that I had 30 degree hang from my suspension, made sure the foot head was at least 6" to a foot high (even higher and lower out of desperation) but cannot get rid of the significant calf ridge on if I lay head right and feet left.

Cheers!

https://www.dreamhammock.com/order_d...tml?order=8342

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    There should be no difference at all in the hammock construction that would affect the lay direction.

I'm strictly a Right Lay (head left, feet right) person. I have a real difficult time getting a truly comfortable lay when in a Left Lay (head right, feet left) position regardless of which hammock I'm using. Perhaps this is the case with you also?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    There should be no difference at all in the hammock construction that would affect the lay direction.

I'm strictly a Right Lay (head left, feet right) person. I have a real difficult time getting a truly comfortable lay when in a Left Lay (head right, feet left) position regardless of which hammock I'm using. Perhaps this is the case with you also?
    Thanks for getting back to me PapaSmurf!

In my hammocks before I actually always found myself laying head right feet left, so I don't think preference is the issue. I am going to give it another go here this weekend, but anything you can think of that I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Fred

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I am a dedicated right lay hammocker. I've tried left lay in my Raven (also symmetrical), and initially noticed that the ridge also seemed more prominent than when I lay the usual direction. What I found is that I had to completely re-position my body (slide my butt further to one side) to fix the issue. I normally don't place my butt directly in the middle of the hammock- due to having long legs and a short torso. So if I decide to switch my lay, I can't just swivel my body to the other side. I have to completely change where my butt is in the hammock, so that it is situated to the right of middle. Even if I find a the sweet spot while laying left, I still find right lay to be more comfortable.

I think you just need to play around with your body position to find the right spot.

Images
    As typical with trying to avoid calf ridge, try moving your position around to see if that has any affect. Try moving your hindparts further toward the head end or foot end, and also left & right. Usually subtle changes in your location within a GE hammock (without necessarily changing your diagonal) will make a difference one way or another.

Generally having your position a little closer to the head end can be helpful, as opposed to being closer to the foot end or right in the middle. The old suggestion of raising the foot end of the hammock fabric to be a little higher than the head end can help with this. The most extreme version of this, to my knowledge, is the Warbonnet Blackbird, which recommends raising the foot end 16" higher than the head end.

Is your sparrow the same width as other hammocks you've had good luck with?

(I see rweb82 and I are thinking along the same lines)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My hammock is 12x6
    Little or no calf ridge
    Most do not want that large hammock due to weight, bulk, extra costs and more weight and bulk—making pack size and weight and cost go up
    Same for tarp, more weight, more volume, more cost, fewer cooperative trees

But maybe your comfort would be enhanced by getting a cottage vendor to make your hammock 11 feet 6 inches by 5 feet 6 inches
    I believe you might be much more comfortable
    Maybe use same tarp used for an 11 footer
    And when rain is expected, shorten hammock ridgeline by wrapping around carabiner until you are out of rain
    Maybe Papa Smurf will tell us if any of his customers have tried this—successfully

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    My hammock is 12x6
    Little or no calf ridge
    Most do not want that large hammock due to weight, bulk, extra costs and more weight and bulk—making pack size and weight and cost go up
    Same for tarp, more weight, more volume, more cost, fewer cooperative trees

But maybe your comfort would be enhanced by getting a cottage vendor to make your hammock 11 feet 6 inches by 5 feet 6 inches
    I believe you might be much more comfortable
    Maybe use same tarp used for an 11 footer
    And when rain is expected, shorten hammock ridgeline by wrapping around carabiner until you are out of rain
    Maybe Papa Smurf will tell us if any of his customers have tried this—successfully
    On the other hand, if we start at a 60" width, then each extra foot of length adds 5 square feet (5/9 square yard) of fabric. With monolite, that's 5/9 oz. If we're going from 11 to 12 feet, that's just over half an ounce extra. Each extra foot of width then adds 12 square feet (4/3 square yard) of fabric, so 4/3 oz. In total, going from an 11x5 hammock to a 12x6 one adds less than 2oz (specifically, 1.73 oz, after subtracting the 0.16 oz from saving 2 feet of amsteel by replacing a bit of whoopie sling/whatever with fabric) to the hammock. As far as weight savings go, that's a relatively small one, if it comes with a significant drop in comfort for you personally.

As the OP stated, when laying feet right, the experience is near perfection. And Papa points out that the hammock is truly symmetrical in all respects. That tells me that the solution is finding the sweet spot when switching lays and not trying to solve the "problem" with a different hammock...

Maybe it comes down to the fact that none of us are actually symmetrical! Maybe the OP just got lucky finding the sweet spot sooner in those other hammocks mentioned(?)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks All,

I have gotten it more tuned in, and I can get it less noticeable, but I cant seem to get the same lay no matter how hard I try. Will keep trying different things I try, but y'all have been helpful.

I have another questions now that I have been using it more regularly, but will make another thread since its a different matter.

Thanks again everyone!

• + New Posts