WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Quilting on Climashield APEX

I have made two sets of Top & Bottom quilts from Climashield APEX, one a 5-oz, the other a 2.5-oz. Both work fine, but I have a couple of bothersome properties of them.
    I don't like the way the top quilt's layers slide and feel like I'm getting bunched up with the inner layer of ripstop. I also don't like the "ballooning" of the quilts when I'm trying to pack them down.

I feel like "quilting" these quilts would resolve both of the issues but I don't want to detract too much from the effectiveness of the insulation. Does anyone have any experience with quilting climashield? I think I can minimize the loss by sticking with a large quilted pattern, like a 10-inch grid, or would it be better to do quilt-points (sewn x's) in a pattern across the quilt?

Thanks for any input.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I don’t think quilting will significantly impact Apex’s ability to insulate. It is marketed as needing minimal quilting or non at all depending on the application. I think for clothing, you don’t need to quilt. For blankets or quilts, a minimal amount of quilting to stabilize the material is desirable.

I would try 20” first and see if that addresses your issue. If you need to quilt more tightly, it’s easy to modify.

YMMV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

You could try quilting it by knotting individual ties on a grid pattern. That was the recommendation I was considering before I just decided to leave it alone instead of sewing it through. You will likely have cold spots, especially on the heavier one.

The individual ties I saw are made of yarn and get tied around something rigid that is removed to allow the quilt to loft still.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try a partial grid at 20", good point FJRpilot as I can always go back and halve it again to a 10" grid if needed. I'm thinking a 4" X at every 20" should stabilize it well with minimal compression. Looking forward to the Fall!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    See this thread for instructions on how to maintain loft and avoid cold spots

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/58423/

P-Dub beat me to it... look up 'Ray Way Quilt' https://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

Ray Jardine adopts a basic quilt loop for synthetic insulation stabilization. You basically push a ruler or stick the thickness of the insulation into the quilt, then tie a loop of yarn around that and remove the ruler. That leaves a loop that stabilizes without crushing out any loft.
    You can use a hot nail/knitting needle to punch the holes so they don't fray.

This method is more effective than sewn through quilting.

Technically; Apex is supposed to be quilted 24" on center per the manufacturer.
    For future reference- you can sew Apex to apex and/or sew it to a baffle. Commercial synthetic bags use various shingle quilting techniques.
    Generally though- the appeal of apex is simplicity and low cost so these more complicated steps are skipped.

I know I have long since lost this fight... but I would not use more than a single layer of 3.6 ounce APEX to build a quilt. After that switch to down.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    That's an novel solution, very crafty! (see what I did there?)

• + New Posts