Thread: sewing Machine

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear

sewing Machine

looking for suggestions for a sewing machine that would be a good starter for DIY projects

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I have a Singer Simple that is working just fine for all the DIY I have done so far. (Bug net, seat belt webbing, kevlar webbing, mesh organizers)
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I've had this one for over a year and have been very impressed so far.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I find doing DIY outdoors stuff I need the ability to do thicker materials and layers so I'm a fan of the vintage all metal Singers, but you definitely want a metal drive train if you go for a new model. I'm kinda partial to Husqvarna if looking at the new consumer grade machines. To qualify, I have everything from an entry level plastic Singer my daughter uses to a heavy commercial leather machine. 99% of the time, I use and prefer an old all metal Singer. It doesn't have all the fancy new whistles and bells, but it laughs at stuff that'll lock up and break one of the newer machines and just keeps ticking along.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    I got one similar to a Singer Simple (manual dial buttons) off Craigslist last year to learn on. I bumped it up to a Brother computerized one last Christmas (https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Quilt...gateway&sr=8-1) and O.M.G. what a difference! Being able to stop with the needle down, not having to remember to hold the trailing thread when you start sewing, varying the max speed, etc has made things SOOOOO much easier and more enjoyable.

Plus there are youtube videos for almost every function for the CS6000i here: https://sewingmastery.com/brother-cs6000i/

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I have a plastic Singer 1550 with metal drivetrain. It does good but I found an all metal Singer Heavy Duty that's only $139 and actually comes with a walking foot and a few other attachments. Both Hobby Lobby and Jo Annes carry this machine. Hobby Lobby is more costly for some reason.

Any machine with metal drives and gears is worth working with. A few things to check when looking at a used machine.

1. Any binding when you turn the wheel by hand. if it's tight or has a little tension then free wheels a bit then it may have been run dry for a long time causing excessive wear on the shafts and bushings/bearings.

2. Check the timing. You want the needle and the bobbin carrier to work in unison. If the needle comes down and the bobbin spins clockwise, turn it the other way and the two should move at the same time, needle up bobbin counter clockwise. any delay between the two is not going to be good.

3. Also timing. The needle needs to start up just a millisecond before the "hook" goes past it. The hook being the point on the bobbin carrier that grabs the thread. It has to be just a little behind the time the needle stops and revereses direction. As the needle stops and starts up there is slack in the thread (a little) that the Carrier point grabs before the needle creates tention on the thread as it goes up. If the timing isn't just right the needle will start to pull the thread up and create some tension, so it misses grabbing the loose thread.

4. Run it if you can for a few minutes. There shouldn't be any smell from the motor. If you ever ran an old drill or skill saw you'll know that smell. Sort of burnt wire/oil.

5. Stay away from a wheel driven flywheel. A big O ring drive belt is a much better system. Do a quick google search for a replacement. I have a machine that takes a flat rubber belt and they don't exist anymore. Tried and failed making a replacement. I Hope to swap it to a pully system some day...

My thoughts off the top of my head. Did anything I mentioned come out wrong ? I hope it helped some.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    I stumbled across an old Singer 403a Slant-O-Matic. It’s a straight stitch machine and it works very well because the base plate has only a small hole instead of a slot. It’s ideal for the extra light mesh and silpoly. No regrets and crazy cheap at the time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I got a Singer 4411 .... it's rugged. simple and has all you need for making gear. It is a current machine and available everywhere ... it isn't fancy, it just works well.

Brian

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Lots of threads on what machines people use, what machines are "good" for what we do -- search and ye shall find...

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    My suggestion - hit up craigslist and grab anything around the $50 range provided it is fully functional. Any model with straight stitch and back stitch is all you'll need. Then learn the craft and upgrade later if need be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast