Images

Another ancient thread that led up to the likely all time record with the HHSS(Kurt and Shug)

I keep stumbling on(while searching for something else entirely) ancient threads that I find very interesting from a hammock hanging history perspective.

About 6 months ago, I started a thread asking "is this the one that started it all", IOW was this our first report of an actual backpack trip using hammocks at way below zero? https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-s-minus-26-27

Shug linked to his incredible video of that event:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Jnoo4BPe2eo

But, of extra interest to me was that this trip was not just Shug pulling off some of his incredible trips at scary low temps and managing to sleep toasty, but his hiking bro on that trip was Kurt- kwpapke - who was trying to see how far he could push a HH Super shelter(HHSS), with it's tiny tarp even - by simply augmenting with gear and clothing he already had. By using the easy ability of the HHSS to add unworn clothing or even a summer down bag down into the UC, to extend it WAY beyond it's intended (in stock form) temps. Suffice it to say that, at way below zero F, both he and Shug slept plenty warm. This trip was legendary around this site, for many years.

But, once again while searching for something else, I came upon this old thread from March of 2008, which I had totally forgotten about. It was one of kwpapke's first threads when he was trying to decide how to prepare for wet weather. He was considering the HHSS among other options like buying an UQ and larger tarp. He already had the HH with stock tarp and cost was a major factor. I ended up in the discussion, as I was pretty new here(really most folks were new) and had used my HHSS on two mountain trips of 1 week each and had stayed warm and dry. So, I gave him my fairly favorable view of the HHSS in wet weather, especially considering the cost vs other things he was looking at that he would have to buy(UQ, larger tarp, weather shield were all things he was considering)

Next thing we know, he has bought the HHSS, and is hoping it will work

Next thing you know, he proves the value of the recommended space blanket. He has one(Heat Sheet), but chooses not to use it. Finds himself a bit cold at 40F, gets up and adds the space blanket as directed, and finds himself quite warm the rest of the night at 35F.

Next comes discussions of Garlington Insulators and the general concept of adding whatever is not needed to sleep in down below the pad and space blanket to boost warmth, and the thread ends in April 2008.

Next thing we know, it is Jan 2009, and this mad man is out there with the other mad man Shug, making his HHSS work plenty good enough at minus 26F(per Shug) or minus 27F(per Kurt).

So, from a hammock history stand point, especially the history of cold weather hanging while backpacking, I just thought this was really interesting. And I had totally forgotten about it. In fact, when this trip was first discussed in 09, I don't think I remembered these discussions with kwpapke at that time. But who knows, I can't remember!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...in-wet-weather
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-22-2019 at 12:25.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sound like someone has a lot of time on their hands

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post