SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Source for bulk tree strap webbing?

I'm looking to get 10 pairs of tree straps for our Scout Troop as lenders. We had Summer Camp last week and despite our telling the Scouts over and over that they needed to bring tree straps for their hammocks, only a couple of them did. Most of them have ENO or cheap Amazon hammocks and use the cheap ropes that they come with or paracord. So, I'd like to get a bunch of straps that we can lend out to Scouts who don't have them.

Ideally, I'd like to get 8 foot straps in yellow with a loop on one end, stitched with dark green thread (Troop colors are dark green and yellow, but I think the yellow straps will be a LOT easier to keep tabs on). All their hammocks have carabiners on the ends, so we can teach them how to use a Marlin Spike Hitch pretty easily.

I've checked a few vendors (Dutchware, SLD and Hammockgear) and none of them have yellow straps. Yellow poly webbing is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Country-Brook...ay&sr=8-3&th=1), and I could probably find someone local to do the loop stitching (or we could just tie figure-8 loops on one end). That stuff has a breaking strength of 600 pounds, and our biggest scouts are probably right around 180-200 pounds (though most are between 100-150), so I think it'd be fine.

Strapworks? They have polypro or polyester in yellow.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Although they are out of stock right now, Ripstop by the Roll offers yellow polyester straps. You may want to email them for restocking projections.

[URL="https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/webbing/products/1-polyester-webbing-1500-lb-colors?variant=33174751373"]

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’d go for good weight rating rather than certain colors
    Scouts are like all kids—sooner or later they will overload a hammock and also maybe have a flatter angle of hang.
    If strap breaks—you might have a problem

Get strong straps
    Maybe you can add yellow and green colors after purchase

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’d go for good weight rating rather than certain colors
    Scouts are like all kids—sooner or later they will overload a hammock and also maybe have a flatter angle of hang.
    If strap breaks—you might have a problem

Get strong straps
    Maybe you can add yellow and green colors after purchase
    Understood. Most of our kids string them up like a clothesline. I'm not overly concerned with a specific color, but want something that will be really easy to see (and harder to leave behind).

I'd get a bulk roll of 1500 or 2000 lb mule tape. Don't worry about stitching. Just tie a figure 8 loop on one end. You'd have enough to make 10', 12' or even 18' tree straps.

If you're in the EU, ExtremTextil sell 750 daN (~1650lb) webbing in yellow.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I second the recommendation for Strapworks. Their webbing is excellent quality, and you can get a 10% discount on orders over 150 ft. The heavyweight polypropylene will get you by, but I'd recommend the polyester. It's over 4 times stronger, which is worth it when you're dealing with kids who don't always observe proper suspension angles.

While they don't sell specific hammock straps, a neat trick is to order a "simple sling" (basically a long dog-bone) that's twice your desired strap length with 2-3" loops at either end. When it arrives, cut the strap in half and seal the ends with a lighter and you're good to go.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    I second the recommendation for Strapworks. Their webbing is excellent quality, and you can get a 10% discount on orders over 150 ft. The heavyweight polypropylene will get you by, but I'd recommend the polyester. It's over 4 times stronger, which is worth it when you're dealing with kids who don't always observe proper suspension angles.

While they don't sell specific hammock straps, a neat trick is to order a "simple sling" (basically a long dog-bone) that's twice your desired strap length with 2-3" loops at either end. When it arrives, cut the strap in half and seal the ends with a lighter and you're good to go.
    Thanks...that's a great tip! And I can get them in yellow! It'll be a bit pricier than buying the webbing and sewing/tying the end loops, but a lot easier.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    An alternative source to compare with is strapping used for tying down cargo to pallets:
    https://www.thepackaginggroup.com/st...ping/composite
    I get these at work and they are great straps with a high strength rating. A little on the heavier side for those counting grams.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast