DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Here are a few pics of my net.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've had a BIAS Buganator for 5 years and just recently used it for the first time.

That's why i don't care for integrated hammocks. That being said, it was fine. No issues. I just don't find myself hiking during bug season enough to be willing to commit to carrying the extra weight, all the time, no matter how minimal the penalty. Its just not good practice when trying to trim down a kit. If you aren't going to use it, try not to carry it, is a great place to start
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I like having a bugnet. Here in NC it is a necessity. Even in the winter I like it because it surprisingly keeps me a bit warmer without blocking all the views.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    When it is humid and still a bug net will block the last bit of wind movement. The bug net is warmer and stuffy. I never leave it behind, but it is wonderful when it is not blocking the wind.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I see quite a few persons stating their dislike for bug nets on their hammock, whether attached or not. I have come to the conclusion there must be something (among SO many others) that I do not understand. For those folks who dislike bug nets, what in the world do you do for a peaceful night's sleep, and even more so when you might want to read in the shank of the evening with a headlamp (bug attractant)? Curious minds want to know, as I agree, bug nets are a nuisance, but to me become a God-send when keeping the little buzzing, annoying, biting little ##*@xx's at bay. What do you do?? Thanks for your input. We have twin engine mosquitoes where I come from!
    Hammock camping is best when you can drift off under a clear starry night with nothing between you and the heavens. Tarps and bug nets are accessories to be used only as necessary. Camp when it's clear and leave the tarp undeployed. Camp when is cool to cold and bugs aren't a concern.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Curious about bug nets

I've been using a Dutch ware summer sock xlc over a Warbonnet Travler xlc. I stuff it in the bag with the hammock, (it fits). It is easy to slide on or off while in the hammock. It allows me three options and is an under quilt protector. I like using a bug net.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

I hate bugnet too but here in Canada, it's suicidal to go without one.

I'm using a diy half bugnet, inspiration from Tacblades's video. I leave it on the hammock all the time, I just move it like a curtain if I need it or not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2bIwkftJwOc

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Dutchware bottom-entry bug net which I've never used. I usually bring it (just in case) but have not yet had an issue with bugs at night. Granted, most of my trips involve overnight lows topping out around 60 degrees, which may explain why the need has never materialized. I should probably use it at least once just to make sure I know how to set it up, I guess.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Less is more. Less bulk, less weight, less gear to deal with. And since I use a zippered hammock with net when I need to, less opening/closing (reminds me of tenting days). I like being able to just reach out to stuff on the ground or on my end table (stool) to the side of me. And because of that I don't need a ridgeline organizer (I'd never use one anyway).

Of course I need my hammock with net from about late April to late September, and I've been known to push that after checking recent weather and the forecast.

As long as the mosquitoes are not active, it doesn't matter and the others leave me alone. Besides, they don't eat much

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Agree with OneClick on the 'less is more' philosophy and being able to reach out with fussing with zippers. Plus I just prefer the feeling of netless. I remember when I first overnighted in a hammock I felt the net was a must.. I was too exposed and the net gave me some comfort. Now it's the opposite... and I find the net an annoyance and claustrophobic.

Last year I switched to a Half Wit style bug net since, after reviewing my log, I rarely used the net.. but wasn't arrogant/stupid enough to leave home without some kind of protection. This year I made my half net removable and interchangeable across my collection of hammocks. So I ditched the weight of most of the zipper tape and, can leave the net home in winter.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast