Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Virginia

Hey all,

So after coming back from camping for a few days on the 4th, I was in REI picking up some odds and ends. I saw they had some ENO hammocks on sale. I hopped onto Amazon to see what options they had to offer. Everything appeared to be basically the same. Then I started reading various reddit and forum threads and found out about cottage vendors and 11' hammocks. All I had ever done was lounge in the ENO type because they are everywhere, but now my interest is sparked in stepping up so to speak.

I am 5'10 and 165 lbs. I would mainly use the hammock during the warmer months to begin with. Since I am in VA, and it's usually hot and humid during the summer, is there any fabric that is cooler? Also, I am struggling between going netless or going with a model that has a net built in that can be removed or tied up so it doesn't hit you in the face. Mosquito's are a pain, so I know I would need some type of bug net. I would most likely go with an adjustable ridgeline to experiment with what feels best as far as sag goes.

Vendor wise, I have been looking at:
    * Dream hammock
    * SLD
    * Dutchware
    * HG

I'm sure there are many more, but those are just the ones that I found and appear to have some type of starter kit. I was trying to stay at $100 or below for my first setup. For those of you who are seasoned veterans, I welcome your input on where to begin my journey.

Thanks for your time!

Matt

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. It going to be hard to stay under $100 for a netted hammock which is the only way to go in my opinion. You should add Warbonnet to your candidates as well as the saddle bags are a game changer. Material wise a hammock is hot when it's real hot and humid but they do cool down at night so I'd look at the lightest material that will support your weight.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’d suggest a Warbonnet El Dorado or Dream Hammock Raven as great choices at roughly similar price points.

The El Dorado is asym with a reversible net depending on your lay direction, which is very nice.

The Raven is symmetrical and very comfortable, but the net zippers don’t go all the way to the ends and some people don’t like the cinch cord setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums from the Great Lakes State of Michigan. There's lots of choices out there and tons of great info under the vendor forums. You might want to check out Simply Light Designs. They have a "gear up and go" section with discounted prices. If you get a chance, go to a group hang, since that will give you lots of options to look at and you might find someone whose ready to clean out their gear closet.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Welcome to the forums. It going to be hard to stay under $100 for a netted hammock which is the only way to go in my opinion. You should add Warbonnet to your candidates as well as the saddle bags are a game changer. Material wise a hammock is hot when it's real hot and humid but they do cool down at night so I'd look at the lightest material that will support your weight.
    I saw the Warbonnet line, but thought that was higher end (I think the blackbird line). I think you are right. It's probably going to run me around $160 for a netted option. I have been leaning towards a netted option and just cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I’d suggest a Warbonnet El Dorado or Dream Hammock Raven as great choices at roughly similar price points.

The El Dorado is asym with a reversible net depending on your lay direction, which is very nice.

The Raven is symmetrical and very comfortable, but the net zippers don’t go all the way to the ends and some people don’t like the cinch cord setup.
    Thank you. I had looked at the Raven, will check out the El Dorado also!

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Welcome to the forums from the Great Lakes State of Michigan. There's lots of choices out there and tons of great info under the vendor forums. You might want to check out Simply Light Designs. They have a "gear up and go" section with discounted prices. If you get a chance, go to a group hang, since that will give you lots of options to look at and you might find someone whose ready to clean out their gear closet.
    I bet you have some nice views there up at the Great Lakes. SLD was on my list, and I will be sure to check out their 'gear up and go' section.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a wide Raven that's great, but the El Dorado is 4" wider than the default Raven (62" wide vs Raven's 58") and $5 cheaper. Plus you get an asym net that creates a type of "footbox." And a full zipper net. I think it may be the best netted starter hammock around. My son has the 70D fabric and it feels fantastic.

El Dorado: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/eldorado/

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome from Nashville, Tennessee. I jumped on the hammock learning curve in '05 and never tent any more, though I do sometimes "cowboy camp."
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
    Hey all,

So after coming back from camping for a few days on the 4th, I was in REI picking up some odds and ends. I saw they had some ENO hammocks on sale. I hopped onto Amazon to see what options they had to offer. Everything appeared to be basically the same. Then I started reading various reddit and forum threads and found out about cottage vendors and 11' hammocks. All I had ever done was lounge in the ENO type because they are everywhere, but now my interest is sparked in stepping up so to speak.

I am 5'10 and 165 lbs. I would mainly use the hammock during the warmer months to begin with. Since I am in VA, and it's usually hot and humid during the summer, is there any fabric that is cooler? Also, I am struggling between going netless or going with a model that has a net built in that can be removed or tied up so it doesn't hit you in the face. Mosquito's are a pain, so I know I would need some type of bug net. I would most likely go with an adjustable ridgeline to experiment with what feels best as far as sag goes.

Vendor wise, I have been looking at:
    * Dream hammock
    * SLD
    * Dutchware
    * HG

I'm sure there are many more, but those are just the ones that I found and appear to have some type of starter kit. I was trying to stay at $100 or below for my first setup. For those of you who are seasoned veterans, I welcome your input on where to begin my journey.

Thanks for your time!

Matt
    Hey neighbor,

I started out with eno just to see if I would like hammock camping. It was all down hill form there; of the vendors you mentioned, I've purchased the chameleon from dutch. I used it during this past winter which was fairly enjoyable just have to practice setting up my under quilts. I always use the bug net but it is removable but like you said mosquitoes are a pain in this area. Don't need the net in the winter but I use it anyway. Next weekend will by my first time taking it for the summer.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Va. I'm 5'9" 165 lbs and had been very happy with a Dutch 1.6 Argon hammock, Arrow Head Eq 3 season Jarbridge UQ and full cover bugnet.
    I do have a Hennessy with attached bugnet. Hammock/insulation you must decide on based on what style camping you do.
    Bugnet - My experience is that attached bugnets are hotter on calm summer nights and any part of you exposed on the bottom gets bit. Fronkey style full cover bugnets work best in my area.
    If money is an issue, check this out and disregard the naysayers. The bugnet alone is worth the $11. Other than being heavy, the suspension is very solid. You could even remove the hammock side extensions and have a decent hammock.
    Post 15 is a video, post 20 a review, post 32 adresses removing the side extensions.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-19-to-5-30-19

Summary:
    Pros: it is worth the $11, hammock is solid and comfortable, bugnet works well and fits any gathered end hammock up to 11ft, suspension is easy to use and solid.
    Cons: Hammock is marketed as 2 person so lots of extra fabric, bugnet sewed on stuff sack drags on ground, suspension is very heavy. You can remove these by a little seam ripping.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Welcome from Nashville, Tennessee. I jumped on the hammock learning curve in '05 and never tent any more, though I do sometimes "cowboy camp."
    Thanks! Yep, after I pick up something I am eager to try a night out in it. Just need to do a lot more research and forum reading (not just vendor wise, but setup).

Quote Originally Posted by mehyatink View Post
    Hey neighbor,

I started out with eno just to see if I would like hammock camping. It was all down hill form there; of the vendors you mentioned, I've purchased the chameleon from dutch. I used it during this past winter which was fairly enjoyable just have to practice setting up my under quilts. I always use the bug net but it is removable but like you said mosquitoes are a pain in this area. Don't need the net in the winter but I use it anyway. Next weekend will by my first time taking it for the summer.
    Hey! That is pretty much where I am also. The Eno/Chinese one's are nice for lounging, but I could never get comfortable. It either felt too small, or too much extra fabric flapping around on the double models. Right now I am eyeing the SLD 'starter' kit which would get me up and running without spending close to $200. I'm just trying to determine fabric choices (hexon, hyperd, etc.) because I understand that also plays a big role in comfort.

Good point on the skeeter net. I may go that route since I am looking at netless if I can find one for cheap or 2nd hand. I'm surprised you didn't take it out last week. It was only around 110 here ha (too **** hot and humid). The last few days after the cold front have been a welcome change!

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Welcome from Northern Va. I'm 5'9" 165 lbs and had been very happy with a Dutch 1.6 Argon hammock, Arrow Head Eq 3 season Jarbridge UQ and full cover bugnet.
    I do have a Hennessy with attached bugnet. Hammock/insulation you must decide on based on what style camping you do.
    Bugnet - My experience is that attached bugnets are hotter on calm summer nights and any part of you exposed on the bottom gets bit. Fronkey style full cover bugnets work best in my area.
    If money is an issue, check this out and disregard the naysayers. The bugnet alone is worth the $11. Other than being heavy, the suspension is very solid. You could even remove the hammock side extensions and have a decent hammock.
    Post 15 is a video, post 20 a review, post 32 adresses removing the side extensions.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-19-to-5-30-19

Summary:
    Pros: it is worth the $11, hammock is solid and comfortable, bugnet works well and fits any gathered end hammock up to 11ft, suspension is easy to use and solid.
    Cons: Hammock is marketed as 2 person so lots of extra fabric, bugnet sewed on stuff sack drags on ground, suspension is very heavy. You can remove these by a little seam ripping.
    I have been reading up on the AHE UQ's with cold weather approaching. Thanks for all the info and tips. I will check out the thread. For $11, the bugnet is a great deal. The hammock can always be used for group camp use so it doesn't go to waste.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast