SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly

Looking for suggestions to hammock camp in extreme heat and high humidity

I live in North Texas and in the summer months between June to September I typically refrain from hammock camping due to extreme high heat and humidity. As a result I get cabin fever and a sense of melancholy during these months from not being able to do my local road trips within a 2 hour drive.

Most of the chatter on this forum is related to staying warm in winter but I find very little dialogue regarding tips/techniques to enduring extreme heat and humidity for those that dare to venture out during the summer months in my region (Texas,Oklahoma,Arkansas). I'm referring to days in the upper 90s to low 100s where the lowest evening temperature is with upper 70s to low 80s accompanied by high humidity.

I'm contemplating the idea of trying out some overnight trips that start late in the day and finish early morning and hammocking camping with only my clothing and no insulation above or below me. I would appreciate any tips or brainstorming for those who do brave the extreme temps.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 07-16-2019 at 10:54.

There are some videos on YouTube by a British guy called Ray Mears who has been hammocking in the rain forest. It doesn’t get much hotter or more humid than that.
    I would suggest a light coloured tarp to keep off the sun with the sides high up to allow good ventilation.
    You might still need a light underquilt as it can feel surprisingly cool at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Looking for suggestions to hammock camp in extreme heat and high humidity

Japan has similar heat and humidity... or it should if it wasn’t for this abnormal rainy season.

I usually try to camp at higher elevation (above 2000m / little more than 6,500ft).

If it’s not buggy, i go with single layer and without bug net. I bring 3/4 length UQ and kept it get loose and it usually slid to the side as often I don’t need it.

I bring a small fan and place it on the ridge line to circulate air.

Some other tricks include eating earlier and wrapping a cool wet towel around the neck.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Small USB fan connected to a rechargeable battery bank is a must. Gotta keep that air moving.
    My bug net is semi-solid on the bottom half, mesh on the top. I'm sure I lose some "under-breeze" because of it. If I had to choose again I'd do 100% mesh or "integrated".
    Not an expert on which fabrics might help the most.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's nasty, but I'm giving it a go next week. What remains of Barry is moving up and out. So I will be rain-free, but it's siphoning some major heat and humidity behind.

- No TQ needed on this one (81° at bedtime, 72 for a low)
    - Keep UQ to the side or detached until necessary.
    - I second the wet towel around neck idea. Add fresh water to wipe down your face, back to the neck. In the heat of the day, I once laid the wet towel in the hammock underneath me. Bigtime cooling.
    - A fan isn't worth it for me. I don't want that and a battery pack for that kind of air. But a box fan would be nice!
    - More drinking, less eating
    - Swim if possible...but then you're damp and hot minutes later, so it's more for fun after the initial cool down IMO.

Man, thats weak now that I look at it. No "sure thing" ideas like keeping warm in the winter. 158 days. I don't understand why people say "backpacking/camping season is coming" toward the end of spring. That's when it ends for me even up north.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My suggestion would be don't do it if your humidity is anything like ours. I've spent some of the most miserable nights in a hammock soaking wet and hot from trying to hang in the summer in Alabama. My suggestion if you just have to hang in the summer is to go as high as you can and for us that's the Smoky Mnts. which is about a 4 hour drive.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    My suggestion would be don't do it if your humidity is anything like ours. I've spent some of the most miserable nights in a hammock soaking wet and hot from trying to hang in the summer in Alabama. My suggestion if you just have to hang in the summer is to go as high as you can and for us that's the Smoky Mnts. which is about a 4 hour drive.
    Some elevation would be nice. I'm leaving a 95° day, driving exactly 4 hours north, for 96°

I could simply wait a couple weeks for great weather...but I got that itch to go!

Camp by water and keep your hiking miles down. For me, dealing with heat isn't as bad as having high humidity. It goes all downhill from there if you add in mosquitoes.

I know from experience that there's an overwhelming urge to get out on the trail or camp whenever the opportunity arrises. If you can push the trip out a few weeks and wait for a break in the weather, by all means, do it.

Meanwhile, here in Michigan it's going to be the hottest weekend all summer. So, what am I doing? I'm heading out into the heat to hammock base camp, maybe take a short hike, and cool off in the river.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Keep a cold or at least wet cloth around your neck. I do use a battery fan in hot weather. It moves the air when I crawl in to snooze. Usually end up turning it off if I awaken early AM.
    Hydrate hydrate.
    Seek shade and a breeze.
    Swim if you can.
    Use a good old hand type fan to fan yourself when sitting.
    Sleep in your skivvies.
    I find hot weather camping un-appealing but if you got the itch to go then go and move slowly.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 07-16-2019 at 14:23.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I hammock camp here in AZ during the summer months. Our highs are usually 110-115 with lows at night around 85. But our humidity is much lower, only around 25% this time of year. But I pitch my tarp a little higher than normal for the breeze and usually dont use my uq or tq. Its usually bearable at night.
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast