Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    It's pretty simple:
    1. Take one cup of concrete.
    2. Harden up!

That's a good one! I'll add it to some of my other favorite expressions that include "rub some dirt on it" and "suck it up". I knew this post would come across as a brooding session and not gain sympathy from many. My dilemma is more of a geographical challenge as I'm in one of the top US states with hottest summers (Texas, Louisiana, Florida and Oklahoma.)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah there's some things where "suck it up" doesn't work. Weather is one. Dealing with mosquitoes so thick that you smear them into a black paste on your arms is another. So if you still want to get out, it's good to get all the tips and tricks you can from others. You can only do so much and hope for the best.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    Man Texoma certainly gets hot, but at least you can jump in. You could try LBJ Grasslands, at least there are some shady spots and few watering holes. I'm afraid you're going to have to cross the river and get some altitude to escape the heat. Turner Falls OK, Broken Bow OK, lots of stuff from Mena to Lake Ouachita in Arkansas. It's definitely a drive, but I just spent a week in New Mexico and it was awesome. It was 44* one night, but that was at 11400 ft.
    Thanks for helping me brainstorm. Yes, expanding my driving radius is definitely one solution. Just pulled up LBJ Grasslands and the OK locations on my weather app and it looks like those areas are also challenged with extreme heat this time of year. Even Mena, AR looks extreme. Did a trip to the beautiful area of Caney Creek wilderness (about 5 hour drive) a few years back and loved it.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Yeah there's some things where "suck it up" doesn't work. Weather is one. Dealing with mosquitoes so thick that you smear them into a black paste on your arms is another. So if you still want to get out, it's good to get all the tips and tricks you can from others. You can only do so much and hope for the best.
    Yes, when I posted this thread, the idea of getting tips and tricks for dealing with the extreme heat was first and foremost in my mind. I was in the camp that basically has written off the summer months as being doable for backpacking and hammocking in my geographical region for 3-4 months of the year. The comment about heat stroke or suffering in the heat resonates. This represents almost a quarter or third of the year I have been reluctant to getting out (unless I drive long distance or fly) which is substantial. You can bundle up in winter when cold but how do you cool down or deal with excess heat? I figured some on this forum might present some ideas I hadn’t taken into account. I also figure there are many, especially in the Southern states, that are in the same dilemma that could also benefit if we can come up with ideas to stretch the hammock camping season, in the Southern region, to more than 8 or so months of the year.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 07-31-2019 at 10:51.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    You can bundle up in winter when cold but how do you cool down or deal with excess heat?
    That's what I hate about the heat. In cold weather, most warming techniques last. In the heat, I can jump in the river. Fine. But then I work up a sweat just climbing up a 10' bank or walking back to camp. So I guess I can go back in right after drying out, then back to camp, then back in the water, then back to camp, then back in the water, then....almost pointless. But fun while it lasts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Looking for suggestions to hammock camp in extreme heat and high humidity

Acclimation is a good idea too. Spend as much time as you can in high humidity and heat beforehand and it will be less uncomfortable. Lose the UQ and add an UQ protector. Use a small ridgeline fan. The best one is made by GoalZero. Even a little fan will be worth the effort, but it is part of a whole system and strategy of course. Don’t wear socks, gloves, neck buffs or hats because they are your natural radiators for dumping heat. Use a light fleece throw for a blanket. Have some snacks, socks, hat, and a pad handy for if/when it finally cools down mid slumber. Keep a water bottle handy. Give yourself extra time to sleep to counter the lower quality sleep you will get. Bad sleep will make a hot day feel worse and then you have worse sleep the next night and so on. Try to camp where you will gets some wind. Finally, don’t even think about switching to a tent!!!

What you do during the day will have an impact too. Avoid heat exhaustion, sunburn, dehydration, and low electrolytes. Definitely wear a wide brimmed hat.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 07-31-2019 at 12:30.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Acclimation is a good idea too. Spend as much time as you can in high humidity and heat beforehand and it will be less uncomfortable. Lose the UQ and add an UQ protector. Use a small ridgeline fan. The best one is made by GoalZero. Even a little fan will be worth the effort, but it is part of a whole system and strategy of course. Don’t wear socks, gloves, neck buffs or hats because they are your natural radiators for dumping heat. Use a light fleece throw for a blanket. Have some snacks, socks, hat, and a pad handy for if/when it finally cools down mid slumber. Keep a water bottle handy. Give yourself extra time to sleep to counter the lower quality sleep you will get. Bad sleep will make a hot day feel worse and then you have worse sleep the next night and so on. Try to camp where you will gets some wind. Finally, don’t even think about switching to a tent!!!

What you do during the day will have an impact too. Avoid heat exhaustion, sunburn, dehydration, and low electrolytes. Definitely wear a wide brimmed hat.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely add them to a doc I'm creating that has all the other incoming recommendations. I'll eventually attach the doc to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    That my friend is a Ryobi 18 volt fan
    Came with a kit of tools years ago
    Finally found a use for it

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I'll have to try that with my kobalt version, though it is a fair bit bulkier than the fan shown in your picture. I doubt the ridge line will keep it away from my body, though it does have a place for tripod mounting, so I could probably set up a tripod next to the hammock and mount the fan on top.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BestUsernameInTheWorld; 08-01-2019 at 14:26.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by BestUsernameInTheWorld View Post
    I'll have to try that with my kobalt version, though it is a fair bit bulkier than the fan shown in your picture. I doubt the ridge line will keep it away from my body, though it does have a place for tripod mounting, so I could probably set up a tripod next to the hammock and mount the fan on top.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I'm seeing these rechargeable job site fans weigh between 2-5 pounds which is very heavy for backpacking. However, in my case, I don't mind carrying that weight for out and back trips where I won't be doing any more than 8 miles total. I figure if I'm willing to haul my heavy 0 degree down sleeping bag in winter to stay comfy I should be open to carrying one of these fans if I'm backpacking in one of the hottest/humid areas in summer. The tiny battery operated and usb ridgeline fans just don't seem like they'll get the job done in extreme circumstances.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 08-02-2019 at 12:25.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    2-5 lbs!! That's my food load for an entire trip! I just bought one of these fans for $1.75. Breaks down small and I wrap it with a velcro strap that also holds it to the ridgeline. The Xtar battery pack is for my phone, but I will sacrifice some power for this when I need it. The battery percentage is key; I hate guessing what's left. If I get in a pinch, I can always use the battery from my headlamp for another 3500mAh, depending on how much more use I'll need with the headlamp on the remainder of the trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast