SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Those small flexible fans pack a lot of CFM for their size. They would be my second choice. Problem is that they are not too durable. I would pack a spare just in case. When you flex the neck a lot, as you would expect to be able to, it ends up breaking an electrical connection somewhere internally. They are cheap and light enough to make up for that, but ultimately, that’s why I prefer the GZ fan.

Here’s a link to a 3-pack. There are many different people selling them on Amazon. I don know if they are exactly the same, but they sure seem to be. Except for different colors of course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072142MMC
    Thanks HandyRandy I’ll check these items out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly

Looking for suggestions to hammock camp in extreme heat and high humidity

Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    Along the lines of acclimation... and maybe this is way far off the wall, but you could try hot yoga. If you can live through/get used to that sweat fest, 100* and high humidity will feel down right chilly. I went to a few classes with my wife one summer when we were still dating and outdoor temps never really bothered me. Now I froze when winter came around, but I was good during the summer. Of course I'm the nut riding my motorcycle around in full gear in this heat so I'm pretty much forced to acclimate as the seasons change. When it's so hot you actually have to close your helmet visor to cool off (~103+) you know Texas summer has hit. It was only 91* at the Ranger's game yesterday and that was pretty easily bearable.
    The mental image of doing hot yoga definitely seems worse than what I’m trying to tackle with the overnight hammock adventure in extreme temps. My hats off. I think I’ll stick to mimicking the activity which for me has been to do 90 min hikes each Saturday morning at a hiking trail (Cedar Ridge Preserve) near me.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    I think you just gave the encouragement I needed to try this "Egyptian sleep method" for myself and fellow hammockers. The current temperature where I'm located is 99F with heat index 112F. Tonight will be low 80F which means around 90F heat index.

I'll test out this evening in the backyard and report back. Since I haven't yet sourced a ridgeline fan, I'll aim a small oscillating fan, set to low, toward a damp cotton sheet that'll be covering me. I'll tweak as needed to find optimum comfort or I'll report if the test was a failure.
    Unfortunately, my test will have to wait until later in the week as I didn't realize DFW is under Ozone Action Day status due to high levels of ozone air pollution.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Just thought of another tip. Try using an inflatable pillow instead of a down or synthetic filled pillow. I find the inflatables to be cooler and they would also not be affected by humidity and sweat.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Just thought of another tip. Try using an inflatable pillow instead of a down or synthetic filled pillow. I find the inflatables to be cooler and they would also not be affected by humidity and sweat.
    Thanks- inflatable pillow going on the list.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    Unfortunately, my test will have to wait until later in the week as I didn't realize DFW is under Ozone Action Day status due to high levels of ozone air pollution.
    Happy to report testing has begun with heat index near 100F. Have the fan at foot end on low speed and have wet cotton sheet on top. So far so good. More reporting will be forthcoming.

IMG_8682.jpg
    IMG_8683.jpg

Last edited by Hiker_Section; 08-10-2019 at 07:44.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly

Looking for suggestions to hammock camp in extreme heat and high humidity

Log from Backyard Test
    Starting temp at 10:45Pm - 91F (H.I. 98F) Hot breeze outside 5-15mph was blowing.

Wearing running shorts and running shirt (tech fabric). Dry cotton towel placed below me in hammock, damp cotton sheet on top of me (Egyptian sleep method). Using inflatable camp pillow. Had no upper or lower insulation on hammock. (Normally, I only need underquilt when temp drops below 70F. I’m a warm sleeper). Had sleeping bag liner and extra change of clothes for backup if needed. Started with fan on low. Fan positioned at foot end of hammock. Initially, in first few hours skin felt clammy due to wrung out cotton sheet being very damp. However, the dampness was effective in countering the extreme heat. After a few hours turned off fan because of strong breeze 5-15MPH. I was not cold but just didn’t need fan. At same time I folded both towel below me and damp sheet and suspended on ridgeline at head end. I sensed the damp hammock and my clothing beginning to quickly dry with the towel and sheet removed . Eventually hours later I woke up dry and uncomfortably hot. I returned the damp cotton sheet to cover me and slept the rest of the night with the top sheet and was comfortable. I did not reuse the damp under towel and left it hanging on ridgeline rest of night.

Woke up comfortable at 7am 81F (H.I. 85F) and had restful night of sleep. Wet cotton sheet still had some dampness.

Conclusions: Wet cotton top sheet and dry under towel (Egyptian method) is a game changer and was most important aspect of enduring extremely hot evening temp. The towel and sheet can be installed/removed as needed and is very effective for regulating comfort. Fan blowing on damp sheet augments sleeping comfort but will need to test when there is no outside breeze. Will still need to do more testing with small ridgeline fans vs more rubust fans like job site fan and consider the tradeoffs to both. Will need to conduct more tests with this sleeping arrangement in other exterior conditions (i.e. no outside breeze) and local locations (i.e. lake camping). Will definitely try more tests in near future.

Now that I’m confident I can endure the hiking/backpacking and sleeping aspects, I will begin the next part of my testing which I anticipate will be the most difficult and challenging. This will be to endure triple digit temps for extended hours in camp during the hottest part of the day. I’ll be applying all incoming recommendations as well as other aspects of my research from Hammock forum, bushcraft websites, YouTube, etcetera. This will involve setting up camp in densely wooded/shaded area alongside a lake. I need to get to this before August (hottest month) ends.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 08-10-2019 at 15:46.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly

Hammock Camping in Extreme Heat and High Humidity checklist

I'll continue to develop the attached checklist as I have more time to research. Thanks to all for their input/tips.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 08-13-2019 at 21:53.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B

Artic Breeze Mini USB fans -

Screenshot_20190820-225036_Amazon Shopping.jpg

These Artic Breeze mini fans are a sleep necessity for me for camping in tent or hanging.

I plug them both into my Anker power supply. They draw 0.2 amps.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiecamper View Post
    Screenshot_20190820-225036_Amazon Shopping.jpg

These Artic Breeze mini fans are a sleep necessity for me for camping in tent or hanging.

I plug them both into my Anker power supply. They draw 0.2 amps.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I like the built-in goose neck feature and affordable price. Some of the other USB fan options would require purchasing the goose neck accessory separate from the fan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast