one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    With temperatures you've mentioned recently—115°F in the shade—I'd need my 2000-watt Honda inverter generator and a couple of floor fans!

Alternatively, I'd bet there are a few gazillion USB fans on Amazon.
    Maybe, but Amazon scares me.

Those are just daytime temps out here, I wouldn't mind having a little fan for night time sleeping, and I hate buying cheap crap that doesn't last.
    Anyway using fans w/o a cooler type pad when it's this hot is just like turning on a hairdryer . . . on high . . . and pointing it at your face.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Seems like the goal zero fan is no longer available.
    I wouldn't fret the goal zero fan is no longer available. The main thing it has going for it is that if its rubbery fan blade comes in contact with the hammock netting or anything impedes it during operation the blade freezes so as to not cause damage to the netting. I doubt it produces much better air volume than the many similar USB fans that can be had on Amazon. Keep in mind I purchased the goal zero fan for weight savings when I do summer backpacking and I've used it for nighttime use in my hammock for relief on backpacking trips. Car camping with hammock merits a very heavy duty fan and weight is not a concern.

Earlier in this thread I posted a document which covers many strategies that has allowed me to continue summer hammock camping in triple digits and not have to write off an entire season. I'm on a serious mission. One of the tricks I've learned which has served me well is to take many overnight trips throughout the summer rather than multi-day trips. I start mid-day by hiking a few miles to my campsite and then try to return to my car by mid day the following day. This reduces my time and exposure to the triple digit elements. Until now I've made use of the simple USB fan but Summer 2021 is already showing to be an extreme scorcher and much more intense than the past summers. I definitely intend to upgrade my fan system and will post updates of my adventures or misadventures to this thread in the next several months.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 06-14-2021 at 23:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789