Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UQ Foot Squeeze

Hammock
    Multiple

UQ Foot Squeeze

I'm having difficulties setting my UQ so it doesn't squeeze my feet together. I first set the UQ so it's hooked with only the drawstring. I started noticing some pain in my foot after few nights. I even had some back pain as I started sleeping in different positions to remedy that.

I added the ”primary suspension” and loosened the drawstrings a bit, but the issue prevails.

I sleep head left - feet right and the force is felt on my right foot.
    Does anyone have any ideas what could be done to lessen the squeeze?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    I'm having difficulties setting my UQ so it doesn't squeeze my feet together. I first set the UQ so it's hooked with only the drawstring. I started noticing some pain in my foot after few nights. I even had some back pain as I started sleeping in different positions to remedy that.

I added the ”primary suspension” and loosened the drawstrings a bit, but the issue prevails.

I sleep head left - feet right and the force is felt on my right foot.
    Does anyone have any ideas what could be done to lessen the squeeze?
    The foot box on your Eldorado is designed to alleviate this sort of pressure from the hammock itself. For argument's sake, have you noticed the same problem when in the hammock without an underquilt attached? I know what you mean about the pressure a full length UQ can put on your outboard foot. While not an ideal solution, one thing that helps for me is using a sit pad inside my topquilt beneath my heels. I typically only do that in cooler weather though.

I didn't completely follow the way you described your UQ being attached. If your UQ has secondary suspension, you could try loosening the secondary suspension line on the right side of the foot end of the quilt, which might put less inward pressure on your right foot.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I do not like that force on my feet either so I either use a Wooki or a 3/4 length.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I can't say for sure, but I doubt it's the UQ causing this. It's probably not that tight (or shouldn't be) to do it's job properly. And since it's soft down and stretchy shockcord...I'm guessing it's just the hammock and how it's set up. If you're flat or even slightly sliding down you're putting pressure on your feet. I would try hanging the foot end of the hammock a little higher on the tree.

With a gathered end, I think your heels will always be pressed together a bit, varying by where you lie in the hammock (closer to foot vs head end).

But to reiterate, a UQ should not be giving you any "force" or pressure. It just needs to be lightly hugging the hammock/your body.

Hammock
    Multiple
    I don't have that problem without an underquilt.
    Cumulus shows on their instruction video to hook up the underquilt with 4 shock cords which have linelocks.
    The Underquilt has however additional 5 loops on the sides. I passed another shock cord on both sides through the loops to lift the uq up a bit.

66DA45D4-C8AB-47DA-B8E4-2E2E3B3AD750.jpg

Sit pad does help.
    I tried loosening the suspension fully from the foot end right side, but the suspension that holds the underquilt up is enough to but pressure on my foot.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I can't say for sure, but I doubt it's the UQ causing this.
    I only have the issue with the underquilt on.
    The force that is pushing my leg inwards is only minor but it is enough to cause discomfort. Last night was my fifth night with the UQ on, so it is bearable, but I'd rather not have that issue.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I only have the issue with the underquilt on.
    The force that is pushing my leg inwards is only minor but it is enough to cause discomfort. Last night was my fifth night with the UQ on, so it is bearable, but I'd rather not have that issue.
    Are your feet touching the end of the UQ, where the shock cord runs? I can see that being annoying. But I found if you have at least a few inches of UQ going past your feet it's ok.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't have that problem without an underquilt.
    Cumulus shows on their instruction video to hook up the underquilt with 4 shock cords which have linelocks.
    The Underquilt has however additional 5 loops on the sides. I passed another shock cord on both sides through the loops to lift the uq up a bit.

66DA45D4-C8AB-47DA-B8E4-2E2E3B3AD750.jpg

Sit pad does help.
    I tried loosening the suspension fully from the foot end right side, but the suspension that holds the underquilt up is enough to but pressure on my foot.
    Are you able to lengthen the primary suspension? Perhaps the shock cord is pulled too tight. Loosening it may help alleviate the side pressure on your ankle. FWIW, I noticed the same issue with my longer UQ (although not a true full-length). I now only use 3/4 length quilts w/ a sit pad- which works well. It does look like your UQ ends right where your feet would be in the hammock. As such, your foot is probably resting right where the corner of the UQ is- which happens to be an area with more resistance. I believe an actual "full-length" UQ will allow your feet to rest in an area of the quilt with less resistance- as the corner of the quilt will be closer to the end of the hammock.

So IMO, either a true full-length or 3/4 UQ (that ends before your feet) is probably the best solution to this issue. The "in-between" quilts seem to exacerbate the issue.

Hammock
    Multiple
    The UQ is 215 cm long (84.7 inches) so it should be long enough for me. I tossed the ”primary” suspension and adjusted the uq so it covers part of my neck (it used to cover my head and even bit over).

3EE93904-BDC0-443D-8388-54CF81AE0A98.jpeg
    There is definately less resistance this way. Still not as good than without an underquilt, but better.. maybe. Have to do more testing. Thanks for the help this far!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The UQ is 215 cm long (84.7 inches) so it should be long enough for me. I tossed the ”primary” suspension and adjusted the uq so it covers part of my neck (it used to cover my head and even bit over).

3EE93904-BDC0-443D-8388-54CF81AE0A98.jpeg
    There is definately less resistance this way. Still not as good than without an underquilt, but better.. maybe. Have to do more testing. Thanks for the help this far!
    Unfortunately, any UQ with a shock cord suspension is going to inhibit the hammock's ability to spread out to the max. Something like the Wooki (Warbonnet) or Trailwinder (Simply Light Designs) is probably the best way to go if it's too much an issue. But that style of quilt also comes with its set of trade-offs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast