Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    The UQ is 215 cm long (84.7 inches) so it should be long enough for me. I tossed the ”primary” suspension and adjusted the uq so it covers part of my neck (it used to cover my head and even bit over).

Attachment 175818
    There is definately less resistance this way. Still not as good than without an underquilt, but better.. maybe. Have to do more testing. Thanks for the help this far!
    Your cinch end at the foot looks cinched down pretty tightly. Loosen all the way and go from there.
    Also...try to bias your suspension at footend as in this video at 2:40 in the video below.
    Might or might not help but try everything.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Your cinch end at the foot looks cinched down pretty tightly. Loosen all the way and go from there.
    Also...try to bias your suspension at footend as in this video at 2:40 in the video below.
    Might or might not help but try everything.
    Shug

I did watch that (and few other of your underquilt videos) prior setting my underquilt but I think my initial setup was so wrong that tightening the footbox side suspension only made things worse.
    I'll watch those again now that I'm wiser from past failures.
    Storm rose around me so had to take the hammock down for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Unfortunately, any UQ with a shock cord suspension is going to inhibit the hammock's ability to spread out to the max. Something like the Wooki (Warbonnet) or Trailwinder (Simply Light Designs) is probably the best way to go if it's too much an issue. But that style of quilt also comes with its set of trade-offs.
    What kind of trade-offs does wookie have if used with an eldorado or with a xlc? I might opt for one of their summerquilts as this current one might be bit of an overkill for summer use.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I did watch that (and few other of your underquilt videos) prior setting my underquilt but I think my initial setup was so wrong that tightening the footbox side suspension only made things worse.
    I'll watch those again now that I'm wiser from past failures.
    Storm rose around me so had to take the hammock down for now.

What kind of trade-offs does wookie have if used with an eldorado or with a xlc? I might opt for one of their summerquilts as this current one might be bit of an overkill for summer use.
    The main trade-off with the Wooki style is that the insulation covers a smaller footprint, and is limited to one lay. If you happen to move around a lot, or change lay direction in the middle of the night, the insulation may not stay under you. Also, because the Wooki has less side protection, you may find it a little less warm than a traditional UQ in cold temps. But other than that, the Wooki will work great for a BB or Eldorado...it was specifically designed for those hammocks, after all!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Multiple
    I tried bit of everything, but I couldn't get it any better. I slept just fine even with the squeeze, but still not ideal. Adjusting the underquilt so it is just below my neck made the biggest difference. There is plenty of space for my feet, but still there is a minor force from the underquilt pulling the hammock together.

I think my ankle is bit inflamed so that might be the reason why the squeeze is bothering me so much right now. I'll just use a sitpad under my feet and hope it goes away.

I did add the ”primary” suspension after last night. I woke elbow cold as the underquilt slipped. It didn't change my feel about the squeeze.

7FE36C31-0BFC-4E49-97F6-962D05A7EDFC.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looking at that last photo, the end seems cinched extra tight. That's a common mistake, one I made for years. It "looks" absolutely correct, until you get in it. When you're feet get in there to spread it out, they're fighting to stretch that out.

Try leaving the end cinched loose, so loose that there's several inches of gap between the hammock and UQ end. It looks wrong, but once you get in your body weight, feet width, and especially angled lying position will stretch and close the gap with little or no "feedback" from the UQ.

This is an over-exaggerated example, but shows my setup with a 0° UQ that kept me 100% warm down to -16°F (starting the night at -1°F and woke up to -14°F). Definitely looks too loose, but it wasn't once I got in and stretched the gap closed.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Looking at that last photo, the end seems cinched extra tight. That's a common mistake, one I made for years. It "looks" absolutely correct, until you get in it. When you're feet get in there to spread it out, they're fighting to stretch that out.
    It can be little tight yes, but it isn't nearly cinched as tight as it could be. I tried loosening it all the way, but it didn't make any noticable difference in the squeeze. I'll try to play more with it to see if there is a sweet spot.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    One last suggestion if all else fails (and before you decide to spend the money on a Wooki), give the Triangle Thingies from Arrowhead Equipment a shot. There is a very good chance these would solve the issue. And for $20, I think it's definitely worth a try. Link below.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...eThingies.html

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    One last suggestion if all else fails (and before you decide to spend the money on a Wooki), give the Triangle Thingies from Arrowhead Equipment a shot. There is a very good chance these would solve the issue. And for $20, I think it's definitely worth a try. Link below.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...eThingies.html
    I actually saw those suggested for calf ridge when I first tried googling around. I bet shipping to Finland would be over 20 $ so just for that one item it's bit steep. Looks like it could be helpful though.

The squeeze is tolerable so I'm definately still going to use this quilt even with the squeeze. Now that the night temps are soon falling I really need this much warmth around me, and it is nice for ”tossing around”. I sometimes put my legs in a number 4 position which could (if i understood correctly) wake me up in a wookie. But for next summer I might order one, lets see if they'll have a hammock day sale.

Experience with underquilts may be the answer for my problem so maybe the problem will go away by its own as I keep fiddling with the settings.

I actually saw those suggested for calf ridge when I first tried googling around. I bet shipping to Finland would be over 20 $ so just for that one item it's bit steep. Looks like it could be helpful though.

The squeeze is tolerable so I'm definately still going to use this quilt even with the squeeze. Now that the night temps are soon falling I really need this much warmth around me, and it is nice for ”tossing around”. I sometimes put my legs in a number 4 position which could (if i understood correctly) wake me up in a wookie. But for next summer I might order one, lets see if they'll have a hammock day sale.

Experience with underquilts may be the answer for my problem so maybe the problem will go away by its own as I keep fiddling with the settings.
    You could bodge something similar with a bit of rope and a couple of knots.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Yes, easy to make a substitute for Triangle Thingies. I used scraps of nylon and grosgrain to make a set.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast