Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How/when do I stake out a hammock?

My DH Raven has 4 hammock tie out hooks. I haven't used them yet though.

Do people often tie their hammock out, or only if it's certain weather conditions like high wind?

Second question is what cord/knots do you use? Shock cord? Zingit? A combination of both?

I tried to find a YouTube video on details, but haven't found anything specific. I've found good videos on staking out tarps, but I probably wouldn't want a hammock to be staked out with as high tension as a tarp.

Thanks!
    "How's it hanging?"
    -Anonymous

You stake out a hammock when you think it is cheating on you........

Sorry, couldn’t resist. I am interested in the real answers as I do not know.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I rarely stake out my hammock - which I suppose, is done to keep the bugnet out of your face. Not a problem I really have.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

The primary purpose is to stop the edges of the hammock from flopping down on top of you, similar to how a knotty mod works. Use elastic, so it can slacked so you don't put too much stress on the edges of the hammock when you get in/out. It works best if you've got the lines as horizontal as you can get it, so either really long bits of elastic, or just go to the corner of your tarp. You want very little tension on them, just enough to keep the sides pulled away from you. Most people go for 2: one one the head side at the head end, and the other on the foot side at the foot end, but pretty well any configuration will work fine. As a random note, if you put both one one side, it makes a very convenient shelf for stacking paperwork on if you're doing work in your hammock. If you've got a hammock with an integrated bug net, it also serves to spread the bugnet out, in which case people often like putting all four in to spread it out more, or just the head-end ones (or even just the head end/head side one), to get it away from your face. A few bits of elastic cost nothing, weigh nothing, and you aren't going to damage anything, so just give it a go and see what works for you.
    Last edited by bluesam3; 07-15-2019 at 06:11.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    The primary purpose is to stop the edges of the tarp from flopping down on top of you, similar to how a knotty mod works.
    Never heard that before. I have a hard time seeing the relationship between hammock and tarp. Are you sure you don't mean "the edges of the hammock?"
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I don’t stake out my hammock
    Some might stake out hammock, might be trying to reduce any motion-swaying back and forth. This can because they are fearful of falling out.

Or because they might have experienced vertigo or dizziness or a type of motion sickness

Also they may have sat down in what they thought was their hammock, butt were sitting in their underquilt—and whump-they fell to ground
    I’ve done that more than once. Now I try to put topquilt or sheet in hammock middle to keep it opened—to prevent sitting on underquilt

Also I like your idea of keeping bugnet off face

Phantom...enabler and slow thinker...

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I stake out my bugnet with one stake. Sometimes I don’t even do that if I’m lazy.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    I stake out my hammock with a tarp guy line and bungee loop, attaching the bottom quilt at the same points as the hammock. Keeps the bottom quilt in place without creep, the hammock’s got some width for managing sleep stuff and yes, I suppose it doesn’t rock as much. That’s a downside IMHO... The DreamHammock and UGQ bottom quilt have attachments that line up nicely.

If you don’t bungee the guy line you will most likely pull out the stake unless you are very careful when you climb in your hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use the hammock pull outs EVERY time...It keeps the excess fabric from flopping on my face and keeps the bug net tighter so it doesn't fall on my face as well. If I am not in porch mode I will always enter the tarp from the foot end so the tie outs don't get in the way.

You could use shock cord. I found that I needed too heavy a gauge of shock cord to make it worthwhile (and being a gram weenie, I didn't want to carry that weight). I use reflective Atwood Micro Cord to make a prussick attached to the hammock tie out point at the head end only. Then about three feet of that same cord, finished with about 18" of 1/16" shock cord with a small eye tied in the end. Gives me the ability to adjust, less (though enough) stretch and I am able to see it at night. I usually clip it to the tarp tie out point rather than stake it. Two hammocks have Dutch Tato Door clips and the others just the eye that I pass through the corner hardware and secure with a trail stick toggle through the eye.

All of my hammocks are DIY and I have been doing it this way for years..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Never heard that before. I have a hard time seeing the relationship between hammock and tarp. Are you sure you don't mean "the edges of the hammock?"

Yes, I meant "hammock" and brain-farted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast