Images

Ancient thread shows JRB UQ's have always been hard to beat

I was searching for my old review of the JRB MW4 UQ from back around 07 or 08, when I stumbled onto this thread which I had totally forgotten about. Aegis, in 2010, on what apparently was his 1st severe temp test in a hammock, decided to give a minus 31f forecast a go, and ordered a 0 rated JRB MW4 for the test, to be used on his HH. He took along some back up material to be added if needed. 1st night, he "woke up around 3AM with a slightly chilly bum". He tossed a pad in and slept straight through to 0730, apparently unheard of for him. No word of what he did the next night which reached minus 37F before rising back to minus 27F at sunrise. But he apparently was warm enough.

Not too shabby for 1st time use of a JRB MW4, especially on a HH Safari far as I can tell bottom entry, where he was trapped inside with a no zip net and could not reach out to make sure the fit was perfect with no gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Man oh Man, so many temp records and PBs are being set these last few days!

And looks like we have set the lower comfort limit for the JRB MW(4?). A slightly chilly bum at minus 11F.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    Yes, MW4, although it was at a slight disadvantage, as I was only wearing polar fleece pants. If I had on my long undies, or outerwear, I probably would have been fine.

Update on the temp, it was -27 in the morning, was -37 overnight:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...%C3%82%C2%B0-F

Images
    Hey BillyBob. Cool that you dug this one out from the back of the shelf.

I've long had my eye on a Greylock 4. I think it would make a nice addition and work well in stacking situations. I have a minus 20° Carolina Reaper full length UQ from Loco Libre and I cherish it. When the gear bug bites later this year, I might just get that Greylock 4.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Hey BillyBob. Cool that you dug this one out from the back of the shelf.

I've long had my eye on a Greylock 4. I think it would make a nice addition and work well in stacking situations. I have a minus 20° Carolina Reaper full length UQ from Loco Libre and I cherish it. When the gear bug bites later this year, I might just get that Greylock 4.
    For those who hang in insane conditions, and speaking of stacking, that GL4(or heck, even GL3) would work wonders the way Shug uses similar items: as part of a pod. Of course, you have to have the right sleeping bag(as Shug does) or a no longer made Speer Pea Pod or Polar Pod. But something rated about 20F by itself- or heck even 30-40F- enclosing something like a GL4 + a 20-40F TQ or bag- a draft free cocoon of huge loft, probably good for 40 below or more. Draft free being a big point. As Shug has demoed for us more than once.

But for those hanging in more sane conditions, I am confident the GLs will keep me warm to their rated temps, or a bit lower most likely. Colder sleepers will vary, I'm sure.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Agreed they are great quilts.

I still use the sets that I learned about on Whiteblaze, back when HammockForums was no more than a subset of WB. Even though purchased in 2005 they perform very well still today.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts