Hammock
    Flagship X
    Tarp
    Serac
    Suspension
    Straps

First hang > GSMNP >Smokemont

Just got back from my first camping trip where I was able to sleep in the hammock. Took the family to the Smokies and stayed at Smokemont campground. The rangers were hammock friendly, just double checked the site was ok'ed for hanging. If planning a trip call ahead to verify your site is approved. They have some that have been damaged. Apparently there was a hammocking class the week before.
    IMG_1805.JPEG IMG_1806.JPEG

My site had trees that were 20' apart so I had to extend my tree straps with some paracord. It made a very saggy hang but kept me off the ground.
    No underquit on this trip since the lows were in the mid 60's I just used a fleece bag liner and wore a vest.
    IMG_1808.JPEG

Wife and kids slept in the tent which of course leaked in the rain. I slept well, manged to figure out side sleeping and was please to notice the lack of a calf ridge in my Amazon special hammock. The white tarp made it feel very roomy in the hammock even with it pitched low for the rain.

Had a great trip. Kids saw mountains for the first time and if briefly their feet touched the AT. Apparently I've watched too many Shug videos because I kept stealing his purtty boil catch phrase much to the wife's confusion / annoyance. Now to figure out how to scale this up for family camping. Getting 5 hammocks into a site is going to be hard.

IMG_1809.JPEG IMG_1813.JPEG IMG_1845.JPEG
    IMG_1853.JPEG IMG_1843.JPEG

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Looks great. What site were you in as I am heading that was in August. Also, what temps at night did it feel like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Flagship X
    Tarp
    Serac
    Suspension
    Straps
    I was at B36 which is right next to the restroom and ranger station. I bit bright at night and slightly high traffic. Easy in and out of the campground. I think there are more trees in the upper D loop.

Lows at night were around 65 and only got chilly around 4am. I had a fleece bag liner and a fleece vest and I was fine. A lightweight under quilt would have been nice.

Weather forecast for Smokemont can be found here

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Depending upon how young the kids are, bunking is an idea. There are ways to hang two hammocks from a set of trees, or three trees, too. Dutch sells a spreader bar. Search the forums, there have been many threads about hanging side by side or bunking.

It's a good thing to get those flatlander kids in the hills every once in a while!

Charlotte

Hammock
    Flagship X
    Tarp
    Serac
    Suspension
    Straps
    I had looked at the spreader bars but forgotten about bunking. My mind went straight to a star of Tensa stands and some complicated tarping. Now i just need to get the wife to allow me to keep upgrading my rig so I can get the kids set up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get that wife in a hammock and off the ground and the budget tends to take care of itself

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I agree with TrailSlug on this one- If she had been hanging high and dry, instead of in the wet tent, you'd have rigs for everybody by now. You can double up under tarps when you bunk or share a tree, so you don't need as many of them.

Charlotte

• + New Posts