Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies

0.9 Simplicity Asym Tarp: Possibly Smallest Pack Size Available?

Hey everyone! Today it happened, the package from SLD finally arrived! The main item I was waiting for is the Simplicity Asym Tarp that I had custom made from 0.9 Xenon Silpoly. I also had some cat cut added just for the looks. Made from this material, the tarp is sold for 65$.

While placing the order I also noted that Jared is selling 11' hammocks for 59$ including suspension (the 'starter set'), which I think is an awesome deal. So I got one of those made from a 1.3 oz nylon material with some whoopie slings as well. I also asked for some lightweight webbing straps and got about 15' of this material.

So obviously I went out to get the new stuff hanging as soon as I could, took some pictures and put it all on a scale. As I like doing long backpacking trips in a warm weather scenario with carry-on luggage only where I don't sleep in a hammock each night (far from it), a small pack size for hammock related gear is always what's most important for me. And let me tell you, SLD did provide!

The tarp weighs in at 6.6 oz / 187 g. The picture shows its pack size next to a usual small beer bottle (330ml ≈ 11 fl. oz). I put some hair bands around it to keep it compressed.
    b1tarp.jpg

The hammock weighs 12.9 oz / 366 g including the whoopie slings and looks like this whe compressed (as much as the hair bands would allow ):
    b2hammock.jpg

And this is the bulk of the lightweight webbing straps (15'), which weigh 3.1 oz / 87 g:
    b3straps.jpg

Here is the tarp and hammock set up, first in good weather mode and then in slightly bad weather mode. The 1.3 material feels slightly stretchier than 1.6 to me, but seems super comfortable so far at the same time. An overnighter will tell if such a material really suits me or not.
    b7.jpg
    b8.jpg

As you can see the tarp looks amazing. The material is very soft to the touch and seems to almost fly away on its own when you handle it. For someone who is generally happy with an asym or diamond tarp, I don't think there is anything out there that takes up less space in your backpack, correct me if I'm wrong. ;-) As expected, the quality of the stitching is also top notch:
    b5.jpg

In the end I put everything in the hammock's stuff sack, put it on a scale and compressed it as much as possible with my hand. So this package here includes the hammock, the tarp, the webbing straps, the whoopie slings and all the cordage from the tarp plus two aluminium stakes. It weighs 42.6 oz / 692 g:
    b3all.jpg

So, the pack size for the complete package seems pretty amazing to me. Now I just need to switch out the hammock for a bug net hammock and I'm good to go!
    I can hardly wait to test out the tarp coverage in some bad weather!
    Last edited by mad_matze; 07-12-2019 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_matze View Post
    Hey everyone! Today it happened, the package from SLD finally arrived! The main item I was waiting for is the Simplicity Asym Tarp that I had custom made from 0.9 Xenon Silpoly. I also had some cat cut added just for the looks. Made from this material, the tarp is sold for 65$.

While placing the order I also noted that Jared is selling 11' hammocks for 59$ including suspension (the 'starter set'), which I think is an awesome deal. So I got one of those made from a 1.3 oz nylon material with some whoopie slings as well. I also asked for some lightweight webbing straps and got about 15' of this material.

So obviously I went out to get the new stuff hanging as soon as I could, took some pictures and put it all on a scale. As I like doing long backpacking trips in a warm weather scenario with carry-on luggage only where I don't sleep in a hammock each night (far from it), a small pack size for hammock related gear is always what's most important for me. And let me tell you, SLD did provide!

The tarp weighs in at 6.6 oz / 187 g. The picture shows its pack size next to a usual small beer bottle (330ml ≈ 11 fl. oz). I put some hair bands around it to keep it compressed.
    b1tarp.jpg

The hammock weighs 12.9 oz / 366 g including the whoopie slings and looks like this whe compressed (as much as the hair bands would allow ):
    b2hammock.jpg

And this is the bulk of the lightweight webbing straps (15'), which weigh 3.1 oz / 87 g:
    b3straps.jpg

Here is the tarp and hammock set up, first in good weather mode and then in slightly bad weather mode. The 1.3 material feels slightly stretchier than 1.6 to me, but seems super comfortable so far at the same time. An overnighter will tell if such a material really suits me or not.
    b7.jpg
    b8.jpg

As you can see the tarp looks amazing. The material is very soft to the touch and seems to almost fly away on its own when you handle it. For someone who is generally happy with an asym or diamond tarp, I don't think there is anything out there that takes up less space in your backpack, correct me if I'm wrong. ;-) As expected, the quality of the stitching is also top notch:
    b5.jpg

In the end I put everything in the hammock's stuff sack, put it on a scale and compressed it as much as possible with my hand. So this package here includes the hammock, the tarp, the webbing straps, the whoopie slings and all the cordage from the tarp plus two aluminium stakes. It weighs 42.6 oz / 692 g:
    b3all.jpg

So, the pack size for the complete package seems pretty amazing to me. Now I just need to switch out the hammock for a bug net hammock and I'm good to go!
    I can hardly wait to test out the tarp coverage in some bad weather!
    For what it's worth, SLD's bottom-entry bug net is pretty nice as well: packs down to basically nothing (mine lives in the bag those straps came in), and has a draw cord on one end so that you can slide it on/off the hammock without having to unhook your suspension.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    For what it's worth, SLD's bottom-entry bug net is pretty nice as well: packs down to basically nothing (mine lives in the bag those straps came in), and has a draw cord on one end so that you can slide it on/off the hammock without having to unhook your suspension.
    Hey thanks, I didn't even see it when I was on the site. How much more of a hassle is getting in and out of the hammock with this net attached in your opinion? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Images
    If the hammock is made from that nondescript black ripstop nylon 1.3, I have a Streamliner made from that material and I find it very comfortable. It's my go-to hammock for post-bug season if I don't want a top cover.

I also have a Simplicity Asym made of Xenon 1.1 and it's my smallest packed tarp by a long shot. To be fair it's also smallest by coverage, but if volume is a concern and you're not expecting much blowing rain, it takes up almost no space in the pack.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If the hammock is made from that nondescript black ripstop nylon 1.3, I have a Streamliner made from that material and I find it very comfortable.
    Yes, that's the one.

Images
    I respect if you want to keep your kit strictly SLD, but an alternative to the bottom entry would be the Travel Net from Warbonnet. It attaches to the hammock in a similar way to a bottom entry but it has a zipper on one side for entry/exit.

For that matter though, you could probably ask Jared if he can make a similar net, so you can keep the whole kit SLD.

Not really a recommendation - a bottom entry is fairly easy to get in and out of - just an alternative.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 07-12-2019 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_matze View Post
    Hey thanks, I didn't even see it when I was on the site. How much more of a hassle is getting in and out of the hammock with this net attached in your opinion? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
    Totally fine. Definitely easier than fiddling with zips. I just swing my legs out of the side of the hammock, and the hole in the bottom slides into place beneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I respect if you want to keep your kit strictly SLD, but an alternative to the bottom entry would be the Travel Net from Warbonnet. It attaches to the hammock in a similar way to a bottom entry but it has a zipper on one side for entry/exit.

For that matter though, you could probably ask Jared if he can make a similar net, so you can keep the whole kit SLD.

Not really a recommendation - a bottom entry is fairly easy to get in and out of - just an alternative.
    As another alternative: if you took the SLD bugnet, and just made the drawcordable hole in one end bigger, you'd have something that would function both as a bottom entry bugnet, and as a hammock sock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Warbonnet Travel Net likely won't work on 11' hammocks from other vendors. Warbonnet hammocks have very little sag and are shorter due to the whipping. Hanging an 11' channel end hammock in a Travel Net XL would probably have the ends poking out and the underquilt being compressed by the bottom of the net.

That's a really well dialed-in kit and a lesson in simplicity, impressive weight and bulk savings.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast