WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle

Permethrin concentrate

Those of you that have used the concentrate, how much finished product have you found works for a set of clothes. My wife and daughter are going to Africa in two weeks and I want to do there clothes as well as some of mine at the same time. Trying to just get a sense of how much I should make up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I just mixed a bottle of 20oz. I did a pretty heavy spray on:

Hat
    2 pairs of socks
    Shoes
    2 tshirts
    Pants
    Backpack

I probably didn't even use half of the 20oz bottle. My hammock was already done from last year, so that may have taken another couple ounces.

The full concentrate bottle goes a lot further than you think. I bought a bottle for last season (2018) and just finished it up after straying everything for my last trip. I probably sprayed backpacks 4-5 times and everything else including shoes, hammock, hiking pants, socks and hats multiple times for myself and my daughter for her trips on the Camino in Spain.

I'm still not sold on permetherin, especially after my last trip since I was constantly stormed by mosquitos. Maybe it's the concentrate or perhaps spending the extra money for the pre-made sawyers is more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I'm still not sold on permetherin, especially after my last trip since I was constantly stormed by mosquitos. Maybe it's the concentrate or perhaps spending the extra money for the pre-made sawyers is more effective.
    In my experience you can forget about permetherin for mosquitoes for two reasons. One, it is not a repellent, it is a poison. Two, they land and quickly do their deed and then are gone. Permetherin takes some time to work and they do not hang out long enough to be killed outright. They may die later but that is not much solace for the days long itching they provide.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Exactly. I posted some questions/feedback on some other threads, but I'll say it here too.

1. I posted a video of bugs crawling all over my pants that were soaked well in permethrin few days before the trip. I finally flicked them off because they didn't die. If they were ticks, I prefer them not to have ample time to get onto skin. So almost useless. Instead, I just flicked them off when I felt them jump on me. But you can't always do that.

2. I always had some peace of mind about it sort of working as a repellent, even though I know it's not. Again, just peace of mind I guess. If I lie to myself enough, I start to believe it. The overpowering smell of kerosene-esque odor is what probably did it.

3. Mosquitoes were all over my hammock net last trip. They didn't seem to care at all. Besides, they'll almost always go for exposed skin, not clothing.

4. The only clue I've ever seen showing it works was my opened hammock. When I came back an hour later, there were a bunch of dead tiny flies (something like fruit flies) inside my Blackbird shelf area. They must have clinged to the net trying to get out, then died and fell there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    In my experience you can forget about permetherin for mosquitoes for two reasons. One, it is not a repellent, it is a poison. Two, they land and quickly do their deed and then are gone. Permetherin takes some time to work and they do not hang out long enough to be killed outright. They may die later but that is not much solace for the days long itching they provide.
    Exactly, I've not had a problem with ticks with permethrin. I treat my clothes with permithrin for ticks. Thermacell for mosquitos.

I mix this 19oz water, 1oz permithrin.

Martin's Permethrin 10% Multi-Purpose Insecticide, 32oz (1 Quart) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061MSS0..._4XFjDbGBZ37VE

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mo_hunter; 07-10-2019 at 09:57.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have been told that a B complex vitamin daily is all you need to repel mosquitoes.I take one and chase it with a garlic pearl and an apple cider vinegar capsule.Mosquitoes leave me alone now.I do take the apple cider capsule twice per day and just one of the others.

Heres a link https://www.institutefornaturalheali...to-repellants/

I always use JT Eatons premixed permethrine sprayed on outer shell clothing,hat,bandanna and carry a small bottle with Repel Lemon Eucalyptus or a bottle of Naturepel with picardin just in case of emergency.I honestly have not had an insect issue since I started doing this,not saying I might not have an occasional bite but its really no longer an issue.

I quit using DEET altogether because it can RUIN your expensive gear.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have been told that a B complex vitamin daily is all you need to repel mosquitoes.I take one and chase it with a garlic pearl and an apple cider vinegar capsule.Mosquitoes leave me alone now.I do take the apple cider capsule twice per day and just one of the others
    Thanks, I'll give this a try. I do eat raw garlic for other reasons, so that can't hurt.

p.s. I missed the "capsule" part. Just tried some liquid and man, I almost threw up! NASTY NASTY stuff. But I'm willing to do a shot each day for awhile.
    Last edited by OneClick; 07-10-2019 at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Adkins View Post
    Those of you that have used the concentrate, how much finished product have you found works for a set of clothes.
    If you're referring to soaking the clothes, I'll give you my subjective take. Last time I soaked stuff, I made up a gallon of solution. Using a bunch of gallon zip lock bags I soaked clothing and hammock. The gallon I made, as best I can remember, allowed me to soak: one netless hammock, two pairs of socks, one pair of pants, two shirts (might have been three; I forget) and a bandanna or two. I had a few ounces left over, and I think I just poured that into a spray bottle and used it later on other stuff.

I followed Phil's suggested method over at sectionhiker.com: one item of clothing per gallon baggie (socks and small stuff like bandannas you can do multiples in the same bag). Pour several ounces into the bag, add the clothing and shake it up to get it good and coated. Then let it sit, preferably out of sunlight which breaks down permethrin. I don't remember how long I soaked stuff, but eventually I took the wet clothing out of the baggies, made sure it was good and coated, then hung it to air dry, again in a shady spot.

Soaking is a bit of a pain, but may give better coverage than spraying. I don't know for sure. I'll generally spray shoes and socks several times over the course of some months, approximately whenever I remember to do it.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Thanks, I'll give this a try. I do eat raw garlic for other reasons, so that can't hurt.

p.s. I missed the "capsule" part. Just tried some liquid and man, I almost threw up! NASTY NASTY stuff. But I'm willing to do a shot each day for awhile.
    I hope you diluted that stuff with water first!Can't imagine a "vinegar shot".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast