11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps

Advice needed for trip to Montana / CDT in mid August '19

I am planning a trip to Montana during August. I have a friend that stays in the West Yellowstone area that I am going to visit, and I am going to visit the park briefly on this trip. I am also planning to do a 5-7 day section hike on the CDT during this trip. However, I know very little about the CDT in the area, so I need some advice on where to start and stop the hike. Are there any loops in the area that would prevent having to shuttle back? Any other trails that I should consider rather than the CDT? Also plan to do some fly fishing on the trip. Considering visiting the RMEF and the Boone and Crockett museums in the area. Is there anything else I should put on my list of must sees?
    Some info about myself: I am an experienced hiker (in Texas), 50 yo, decent shape but not what I was in 20s, probably average 10-15 miles/day depending on the terrain, my low in a hammock was around 21F and I was comfortable, I intend to hang the entire hike, probably will be solo (which I am comfortable with) but my brother is trying to make the trip also.
    All tips and advice is appreciated!!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think the CDT from West Yellowstone going north would be a fun hike. Follow the Idaho/MT border. I've thought of doing that before.

Check into Anaconda-Pintlar wilderness area. Very pretty glacial mountains and the CDT goes right through it. Or anything in the Wind River Range would be good.

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I think the CDT from West Yellowstone going north would be a fun hike. Follow the Idaho/MT border. I've thought of doing that before.

Check into Anaconda-Pintlar wilderness area. Very pretty glacial mountains and the CDT goes right through it. Or anything in the Wind River Range would be good.
    Thanks! This is somewhat of a "scouting" trip for me, because I have never been in the area. It is good to get some confirmation that I am on the right track. I am going to try to go back and look at Dixie's videos on YouTube as she passed through the area, to get ideas on trailheads to get on and off the trail. Any ideas on starting/stopping points are appreciated also. I might be able to get my friend in the area to drop me off so that I can leave my truck at the get off point.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Download guthook CDT Montana map. Also Postholer has a CDT distance calculator.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    However, I know very little about the CDT in the area, so I need some advice on where to start and stop the hike.
    What the area looks like... around Bob Marshall Wilderness which is about 15-miles due West of Lincoln, Montana.

Easy access, to the CDT. Worth a look to view some of the challenges.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Sounds like a fun trip. My main concern would be the wildlife like Grizzlies/wolves. I've never been out there before so I can only go by what I've read. Maybe you can link up with some other hikers for security. If not, definitely have a bear proof food can and bear spray!

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    Thanks again for the input. I have heard good things about guthook so I was planning to try it. I will check out postholer also. I appreciate the link to the video, I will watch it tonight. Bear spray just came in today and I will have a bear proof container. I am not scared of the wildlife but I have a healthy respect for them. Many CDT hikers go through every year without incident. If I wind up as bear poop you will all know I went out doing what I enjoy!

• + New Posts