Question White Mountains Suggestion needed

My buddy and I are looking to do an overnight camping hang this weekend. Looking for suggestions in the White Mountains National Forest. Can be at a designated site or a remote site off the trail. Would prefer it to be less than 5 miles from a trailhead and a easy to moderate walk for two old fat guys. Also a pond, river, or brook nearby for us to wash the sweat off us before climbing into our hammocks.

So far, we've (or I on a solo) gone to Franconia Brook Tentsite, Sawyer Pond Tentsites, Peaked Hill Pond, and Rattle River Shelter.

I was thinking maybe Flat Mountain Pond Shelter, but at just under 5 miles from the Bennett Street trailhead, that will be the furthest I've hiked and I tend to overheat easily. Hiking into Rattle River during the heat of the afternoon gave me dry heaves due to being over heated. This time we are planning on leaving early morning to hopefully beat the heat.

What would you suggest? Our activities that we would like to do once we get there, getting wet and cooling down, collecting wood for the evening, and just relaxing around the campsite until it's time to head out the next day.

Another option that we had discussed was to camp at Fourth Iron and then do a day hike with daypacks instead of camping packs. (Note we day hiked into Kinsman's Falls last year during the heat of the day in late June from the Basin and that was our limit then and we are only in slightly better shape this year.)

Will it help if I promise to post photos of our campsite with hammocks? :-)

- Clyde

Alright, I think my buddy Rick and I have decided on Black Pond in Lincoln Woods. I know we need to be 200ft from the shore and from a few videos on youtube it looks like there are a campsite or two with fire rings (unofficial sites) As always, our plans may change.

- Clyde

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    Alright, I think my buddy Rick and I have decided on Black Pond in Lincoln Woods. I know we need to be 200ft from the shore and from a few videos on youtube it looks like there are a campsite or two with fire rings (unofficial sites) As always, our plans may change.

- Clyde
    There is one campsite right where the herd path begins. As I measured it, it's too close to the pond. There is a hill up behind that site that provides some nice open spots for hammocks that I've used in the past. You will get a good amount of traffic from people rolling through to do Owl's Head.

As far as Flat Mtn Pond goes, it's 5 flat miles. Really pretty easy and along water the whole way. Bennet St Trail is beautiful with cascades lining it. The shelter area is really nice with a lot of room. If you want more solitude there are spots dotted along the shore farther past the shelter on FMP Trail. Beware leeches, though. Biggest I've ever seen.

Black Mtn Pond in the Sandwich Range is a really nice option, too. Crystal clear water, a nice waterfall along the way. Great campsite above the pond. Aim to get there early for the best site.

The Three Ponds area is worth a look. Flat trails and there is a shelter on Middle Pond. Other more remote sites can be found along both Middle and Upper Ponds farther past the shelter. A nice loop can be made with the Donkey Hill Cutoff.

The Wild River area is really nice and easy access and remote. Blue Brook and Spruce Brook campsites no longer have shelters but there is nice camping at both as well as easy access to water.

Thank you very much for the info and suggestions.

- Clyde

• + New Posts