Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Dutch Summer Sock/Bug Net problem and question

I bought one of these not too long ago and have used it a couple of times. I use it with an 11' Dutch Netless Wide. That is relatively new, too. I have a structural ridgeline on the hammock but, until today, I just eyeballed it never bothered to adjust it according to recommendations, like 83% of the hammock length. I haven't been as comfortable as I think I should be in the hammock and thought that the amount of sag could be the problem, so I adjusted it. 132"x.83=109". I adjusted the ridgeline to 109" and found that I was correct in that it made the lay more comfortable. At that amount of sag, however, on an 11' hammock, the ridgeline is very high. When I lay in the hammock, the sock is very tight. Too tight. No way that can work.

So, I'm wondering if, in order to use the sock, you have to sacrifice the proper amount of sag for comfort, or could it be that I'm doing something wrong? Maybe Dutch will offer a suggestion.

Images
    I think the summer and winter socks come in 10' and 11' lengths. Are you sure you have an 11' sock?

I have a Dutchware winter sock (used once) and found it to be rather baggy, definitely not over-tight.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I thought I was. I guess I'd better check.

Yep, checked. It's an 11 footer.

Images
    Assuming the summer and winter socks are designed similarly (other than the materials used), do you have the cord locks at each end of the sock cinched around the continuous loops of the hammock, so that the sock material starts pretty much right where the hammock fabric starts? Aside from that, I'm stumped because the 109" ridgeline you mentioned is the correct "standard" length.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Yep, on the C/L right where the hammock starts. Even it that were off a bit, though, the problem is the depth. I see no solution but to go back to a shallow hang or go back to the old boring net, and I don't really want to do either. I may take the old vertical zipper net to our seamstress to see if she can open one end and put snaps on it for a reasonable price. That would match the main advantage of the Dutch sock/net.

I have to say that I'm becoming a bit aggravated with Summer hanging. The best thing about it is that your pack is lighter, but that's hard to enjoy if it gets to be too much trouble to go out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How about have the seamstress cut the sock bottom and add some ripstop to match your hammock hang. Just adding that may extend it enough.
    Why do you not like a regular bug net?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Good question. The regular (separate) bug net is kind of a pain to get on and off. And once it's there, it's there until you remove it - again not a pleasant task. With the Dutch sock/net, you can open one end and push it all the way off the other end. So, if you don't need it, you can de-deploy it without actually removing it. Also makes it easy to install/remove underquilt, for example. Yet, you have a zipper to make entry and exit easier. Thanks.

Images
    During the time I know I'll be needing my bug net it gets left on the hammock but scrunched up on one side in a small stuff sack, when the bugs come out its an easy task to just pull the stuff sack off and pull the net over the hammock. The net sack fits inside the hammock one but usually they just live attached to each other. Enough of a visual or should I use this as an excuse to setup and take a pic? Putting on an UQ with a bottom entry net is admittedly annoying...

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    That's good, as long as the bug net is of a style that permits that. I can't see how you would do that with a standard bug net for which the hammock is inside of the net, and both ends of the net are just large enough for the continuous loop to go through. The only way to take the net off is to remove each end of the hammock from the end of the net and then the hammock from within.

With the Dutch sock/net, I could do as you suggest, but I just leave it on the hammock and store both together in the Bishop bag. If I don't need the net, then I can just open the big end and slide it all the way off the foot.

As to the initial problem, I lengthened the ridgeline a bit (easily done via the Adjustable Grip Hitch) and I think it's okay now. Didn't affect the lay noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    That's good, as long as the bug net is of a style that permits that. I can't see how you would do that with a standard bug net for which the hammock is inside of the net, and both ends of the net are just large enough for the continuous loop to go through. The only way to take the net off is to remove each end of the hammock from the end of the net and then the hammock from within.

With the Dutch sock/net, I could do as you suggest, but I just leave it on the hammock and store both together in the Bishop bag. If I don't need the net, then I can just open the big end and slide it all the way off the foot.

As to the initial problem, I lengthened the ridgeline a bit (easily done via the Adjustable Grip Hitch) and I think it's okay now. Didn't affect the lay noticeably.
    There's also the SLD bug net, which is a standard bug net, but with a draw-cord opening at one end, so you can slide it down to one end.

• + New Posts