Tarp
    MYOG DYNEMA 11
    Insulation
    OV UQ 15, HGBURO
    Suspension
    Myog/tog/whop

Hi — I'm a Portland ,Or hanger...

Hi all,

Love all the great ibnfo on this site. I've been lurking around for about 6 months, but never posted. I guess I wanted to learn first. Thanks to this site my first 8 hangs have been very successful with little to no cold feet. Ok some, but I'm working on it. I sleep cold.

During the day, I teach at the local art college in Portland. I'm a writer and an illustrator at night. I have two boys...my 8 yo has his own hammock and has hung with me twice. He's a trooper. I was a BSA life scout as a kid and have always camped...less over the last 9 years because of babies, but now they are older and I can go more often. Started hammock camping this year and it is much easier on my hips and I sleep much better, so i fell in love with it. I have been enjoying making my own gear and stoves and pots for about the last year. I'm definitely still a newbie to it all, but really enjoying the backpacking and hammocking communities I've stumbled on to.

Thanks to all who post here for making this such a great board and answering all my questions about 8 to 10 years before I had them. These threads have been invaluable to me.

Feel free to connect with me as I am looking for a PNW community to hang with or go on trips with.

Thanks again,

Zack

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
    Feel free to connect with me as I am looking for a PNW community to hang with or go on trips with
    Welcome, Zack. I'm in inner SE. I admit I camp most often in search of solitude, but not always. Have done a few one-nighters on the ~7mile loop around Larch Mountain recently, greatly enjoying.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Wait, you can backpack around Larch Mt? Tell me more.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Wait, you can backpack around Larch Mt? Tell me more.
    Oneonta Trail heads off a few hundred yards below Sherrard Point parking. There are 3 possible loops back to same point. I head out early eve, tuck into woods as light falls, and complete loop in morning. Strictly dispersed/primitive/LNT/no fire etc.: my favorite.

Hammock
    HH UL
    Tarp
    MYOG DYNEMA 11
    Insulation
    OV UQ 15, HGBURO
    Suspension
    Myog/tog/whop
    Sounds like we are all quite close. I'm in South Tabor.

I have tried a few hikes in and around the damaged areas, trying to check out the scene, and I always came away a bit depressed. Often times you hike right through or next to the fire line and the devastation is quite obvious. It will years for that area. But where I was was closer to the locks than Larch Mt. Is it as bad there? That sounds like a great short run.

I've been heading out to Tygh or Badger Creek areas looking for spots and I have hit up Boulder Lake for a mid week trip. Not a ton of hiking in for BC but I was alone and fafr from anyone. I got set up by noon and did a hike up the ridge, came back and fished, ate, did all I needed to before falling asleep with the sun up. Really easy.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
    I have tried a few hikes in and around the damaged areas, trying to check out the scene, and I always came away a bit depressed. Often times you hike right through or next to the fire line and the devastation is quite obvious. It will years for that area. But where I was was closer to the locks than Larch Mt. Is it as bad there? That sounds like a great short run.
    There is no fire damage on the short loops I'm talking about, that run through the ancient blast crater. There are spurs leading to damaged areas, heavily signed not to enter, threat of fines and lack of search/rescue etc. I admit I've been tempted to enter anyway, with plan simply to turn around if conditions turn too sketchy, depressing, etc. I've encountered very few people out there, even weekends. Did see fresh cougar scat on the trail last week. Had me checking my 6 often as I proceeded at dusk to camp.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    You should stay out of closed areas. There is legitimate danger there.

See trail maintenance notes here.

Must-see rockslide video:

Hammock
    HH UL
    Tarp
    MYOG DYNEMA 11
    Insulation
    OV UQ 15, HGBURO
    Suspension
    Myog/tog/whop
    I know that is supposed to scare me...and it does...but it also is quite beautiful.

• + New Posts