Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I prefer a nearly level stand ridgeline - not an extreme incline.
    To elaborate a little on this point, I like to have the stand ridgeline pretty close to level, which means the rubber feet at the head and foot ends of the stand will be close to the same height off the ground. This allows a tarp to be hung with a level ridgeline, without having to use the tarp extensions (using the tarp extensions with one extension pole set higher than the other allows a level tarp even if the stand ridgeline isn't level).

With the stand ridgeline close to level, I can still get the foot end of the hammock higher than the head end by using a slightly longer suspension at the head end of the hammock. This also shifts my center of mass closer to the fulcrum point, which combined with minimal tilt on the stand means lower tensile force on the foot end anchor guyline. I also like to set the foot end anchor guyline so that it's roughly perpendicular to the stand poles.

I'm just sharing this as a method that seems to work well for me.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    With the stand ridgeline close to level, I can still get the foot end of the hammock higher than the head end by using a slightly longer suspension at the head end of the hammock. This also shifts my center of mass closer to the fulcrum point, which combined with minimal tilt on the stand means lower tensile force on the foot end anchor guyline.
    That's a gem right there. I hadn't put all those elements together in my head. I love how much subtlety hides in simplicity.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I'm a kite flyer and often need to anchor large kites in sand. The "parachute" method works very well but is highly dependent on the strength of the attachment points of the lines to the parachute part. I wouldn't risk using plastic shopping bags as a result. The sand anchors I have used are reinforced with triangles of grosgrain at the corners and are made of the same material as our kites, ripstop nylon. I've also used "dog stakes" that are bigger than the Orange Screws that come with the Tensa 4 stand. They work well for medium/large kites (pulling with about 250 lbs of force at a 90 degree angle.) We also have simply buried large sandbags for bigger kites. The very largest kites I've seen being flown were tied off to things as large as bulldozers.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Spider Daisy Chain
    Images
    Shug, your my hero! It's an honour to have you help me so quick. I will defo be getting some sand pegs but I will also try the parachute idea too.
    You have to love this site, if you have a problem, someone before you has had the same thing and thought up a remedy.

Ha, Latherdome I totally agree, tents are cheating. First time I have used a tent this year. (Now for the excuses) It was late when we got there though and getting dark, plus the beach was barren, there was not even firewood, let alone something to act as an anchor.

I love the Tensa4 stand, an amazing bit of kit that has allowed me to hammock everywhere. I regularly use the solo mod too.

Thanks fot the help everybody.
    A true optimist is someone that plants two acorns and buys a hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I’ve used skis for deadman’s in snow for belaying, you might want to try a piece of 2x6 or 2x4. Obviously you don’t want to carry around a bunch of lumber but if space allows. Maybe a couple 2 foot chunks to experiment with.
    A couple of finer points with a deadman is when you dig your trench, not have your vector of pull straight up but at an angle ( hard to describe but google). In snow you can harden the snow by packing it down, not sure how well that will work with sand.

Edited to add: might look at snow pickets, they come in various lengths and be used as a deadman or pounded straight into the ground.
    Last edited by BradA72; 07-10-2019 at 12:30.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    A cheap inexpensive and very effective dead man is a shopping bag. The reusable kind with nylon strap handles. I got mine free at car show give away. It'll easily hold more than 100 lbs of sand and you can tie the guy line to the handles. Dump when done.Capture2.JPG

31CAE8E5-3CC1-412C-92B2-FD58973E3A89.jpeg

I use the green Rerod stakes Home Depot sells I believe for a buck or two and a dollar store mallet to pound it in
    I swipe away the dry sand also before pounding

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12