Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Spider Daisy Chain
    Images

Tensa4 Stand on sand fail...

Hello everybody,

I went out camping on a beach on the weekend. I used three orange pegs on the foot end and piled them with sand but they would not hold and in the end I slept in a mate's tent.
    What pegs should I use so I can enjoy the luxury of sleeping in a hammock on the beach in the future.

thanking you.

Lewis.
    A true optimist is someone that plants two acorns and buys a hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sand stakes.
    Something like these, as large as you can get and use a few.....https://www.msrgear.com/catalog/prod...ke/category/4/

These look good too....http://www.eddylinewelding.com/sand-stakes/

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Also, if you put the stake in vertically, it doesn't have as much holding strength as when you bury it horizontally. Instead of just pushing it in the sand, as you would in dirt or grass, try burying it horizontally with the cord looped around the middle of the stake. I think that's called a, "dead man" anchor. It's my understanding that unlike tools such as the Handy Hammock supports which required a solid anchor that holds a lot of pulling force, the end lines coming off the Tensa support are more for structural balance and to prevent mouse-trapping. So if you have a LOT of pull on those stakes, maybe something else is amiss.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Also, if you put the stake in vertically, it doesn't have as much holding strength as when you bury it horizontally. Instead of just pushing it in the sand, as you would in dirt or grass, try burying it horizontally with the cord looped around the middle of the stake. I think that's called a, "dead man" anchor. It's my understanding that unlike tools such as the Handy Hammock supports which required a solid anchor that holds a lot of pulling force, the end lines coming off the Tensa support are more for structural balance and to prevent mouse-trapping. So if you have a LOT of pull on those stakes, maybe something else is amiss.
    There's a reasonable amount of weight on the foot end one: not a massive amount, but enough to pull out of sand. The head one can be entirely replaced by hanging your rucksack off the end, since it has no tension on it at all.

Images
    In addition to sand stakes or dead man anchors, I've also seen a sand-anchoring concept that essentially amounts to a small fabric parachute. Dig a hole in the sand, fill the parachute with sand, and then bury the parachute in the hole. I've never had cause to try this myself, but thought I'd mention it as a suggestion - it would certainly be a cost effective solution if it works.

The tensile force on the foot anchor depends on how close your center of mass is to the stand's fulcrum point. If your center of mass is directly over the fulcrum point of the stand, there would be effectively zero force on the anchor line, but then the slightest imbalance would cause the stand to "taco." In a more practical setup, I believe the foot anchor sees about 50% of the occupant's body weight.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    ... In a more practical setup, I believe the foot anchor sees about 50% of the occupant's body weight.

Might want to double-check the geometry of physics on that claim? Depending on angle down from horizontal at which the hammock dangles, the force on each end can be multiples, not fractions, of the body's weight.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Might want to double-check the geometry of physics on that claim? Depending on angle down from horizontal at which the hammock dangles, the force on each end can be multiples, not fractions, of the body's weight.
    Are you referring to the foot anchor guyline on a Tensahedron stand? Or the forces on the hammock suspension lines? I'm thrown by your wording "force on each end," because only the foot anchor is under load (unless maybe setting up the Tensa4 for a 90 degree hammock like a Draumr, and having the hammock directly above the fulcrum).

Again, it's all about location of center of mass relative to the fulcrum. Personally, I've set up (for a test) with the foot anchor attached to an empty YETI cooler. I prefer a nearly level stand ridgeline - not an extreme incline.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 07-08-2019 at 16:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Check out snow stakes. or
    Bury a plastic shopping bag 3/4 full of sand, and tie off to the handles. Could double or triple bag the sandbag, then fill 3/4 full, then bury.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Check out snow stakes. or
    Bury a plastic shopping bag 3/4 full of sand, and tie off to the handles. Could double or triple bag the sandbag, then fill 3/4 full, then bury.
    Now that's a REALLY inexpensive version of the "parachute" technique I was fumbling around describing.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    All good points above. In really loose sugar sand or pea gravel, that behaves more like a liquid, an anchor like an oar face or plate, buried, is best. But minimal stand tilt, both ends tethered, goes a long way too.

Tent is... defeat. Sorry Lewis!
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast