DIY: Choosing a proper tarp size for the Warbonnet Ridgerunner

Hey y'all!
    I'm wanting to whip up a DIY square tarp specifically for my Ridgerunner since my other tarp is a little short for it and was hoping I could get some guidance on sizing. I want to make sure i have enough space to have room inside and keep the spreader bars from bumping the fabric and I want to go with a square for versatility.

Anyone else using a square tarp with the Ridgerunner? What are your thoughts and what would you recommend I take into account with this project?

Images
    If you want to fully cover the apex buckles at the ends of the suspension triangles, folks here are using 13' ridgeline tarps. To make a 13' square without any seam partway down the sides, you'd need waterproof fabric that was at least 80" wide, which isn't available, to my knowledge. Warbonnet's Cloudburst tarps are 10' wide - 11', 12', or 13' long.

If you add panel pulls, they should be spaced 77" apart to align with the spreader bars on the Ridgerunner.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Howler, from reading posts, it seems like more often the tarp to spreader bar connection is more commonly dealt with by using panel pulls - either via guy lines or poles. Also, rubber "bumpers" can be used to cover the spreader bar points. They are sold as a set or can be made with a piece of old bicycle inner tube.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Also pitching higher and wider gives you more room under the tarp so the spreader bars don't touch. Also, if you tarp is made of a durable material, it takes a lot of rubbing or poking to affect it.

When the weather is really bad I drop the tarp down and my poles rub against the tarp sometimes a bit but I have no worry about that.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I use a MEC (A Canadian Co-0p) silnylon square cut ‘guides tarp’ with mine. It’s 12.8 by 9.5 foot. Thats enough room for the Ridgerunner and my helinox chair (to store stuff on). It isn’t quite long enough cover the suspension triangle, but I haven’t had problems. The brilliant (& lucky) part is it has tie outs in line with the head spreader bars, so I can stake it wider where it counts. I also stake my eight foot guy lines wide on the leeward side (if I can) for more room.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I use an UGQ XL tarp and it works great with a 12' ridgeline. Even with a smaller tarp I never had any issues or concerns with spreader bar poking through. I think that's more for the CF tarps. Just pitch higher.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I just finished designing my bridge and it works really well with the Kitsapcowboy Batwing Tarp https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ll-Season-Tarp , I am making a new one I will dub the "Super" Batwing by adding 1.5' to the ridgeline.

The internal pole mod works awesome with a bridge.

Brian
    Last edited by Cruiser51; 07-10-2019 at 08:05.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I use rectangular 420cm*295cm sized tarp. Didnt try a true windstorm yet. I made side panel pullouts as well, but till now I did not need them. But those are necessary if you will need to close the tarp completely I think. One will survive dry and clean in such tarp, but the other one might not be able to spread his kitchen

• + New Posts