Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Clone Mesh Lazy Slug Tube(s)

DIYers

I got the opportunity to make some snake skins to fit a hammock set up and wanted to share how I did it in case anyone is interested in making their own. I got the initial dimensions from an older thread( from earlier this year), so thanks HF.

I used:

-4yds noseum mesh from Dutchware (0.9), They were out of 0.67 when I ordered which is what I would suggest for these.
    -Shock cord
    -mini cord locks also from Dutchware
    -grosgrain ribbon(not sure of name) for the ends, this looks exactly like the material hammock gear uses for the channels on their under quilts. I find it works better to synch against than regular grossgrain.

I cut each of the 4 pieces 15" x 6' to work with 12' hammocks, then I rolled and hemmed each side.

You can definitely put a tapper in each of the halves to make the side pointing at the tree more narrow but I didn't do that this time.

After this I used the t shirt cuff thing on my walmart sewing machine and installed the grossgrain ribbon and shock cord. I finished each end off with a mini cord lock.

They turned out just like a giant set of tarp snake skins.

Just for reference in the picture I have a 40UQ and 20TQ full of downy goodness from hammock gear in the tube halves.

Hope you all are having a great holiday weekend and have your hammock set up somewhere nice.

Two Speed

IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_6064.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Nice work! Do you find it easier to pack up and move on using this? I've been thinking about making one myself.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post
    Nice work! Do you find it easier to pack up and move on using this? I've been thinking about making one myself.
    I didn't actually pack them up before I mailed them but it seems like it would be easier than taking each piece off piece by piece.

When I pack my stuff its always loose and lasagna style into my backpacks dry bag.

They don't take to long to make so definitely worth giving it a try for sure. I made mine with no taper but a taper could work as well. I am getting ready to make another set for someone else as soon as I can get some 0.67 mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post
    Yeah, my setup for local trips without much walking is in the SLD version of this: it pulls around everything but the tarp, then the whole lot (hammock, quilts, bug net, terrible side-sling/gear hammock thing that I DIYed up, and the tube) fits inside the stuff sack that came with an old sleeping bag. That way, a trip just needs that one bag, the bag my tarp is in, and my suspension/peg bag, and everything goes up and down without having to fiddle around too much with anything.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    @twospeed Any reason you went with two pieces vs a one piece skin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    @twospeed Any reason you went with two pieces vs a one piece skin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tarps tend to get bulky in the middle so the two halves seem easier to install for me but a one piece would work great too.

Also with a one piece skin you would be sewing a very long seam which is mildly frustrating for me. Part of the reason I say I'll never make another tarp after I make a tarp.

Either way works just up to your preference.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    just a little update to my instructions. If you cut the pieces 30" wide you cut out one of the seams completely. Also, if you sew the seam before you cut the 12' piece in half this seems a little easier.

I found this accessory to be very popular with folks and am happy to help anyone who wants to make one for their set up.

Happy DIYing!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I've fount walmart sheer curtains are good to practice with when making netted projects. .67 will be lighter of course, but the curtains are cheap and can be found easily when testing designs.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    I've fount walmart sheer curtains are good to practice with when making netted projects. .67 will be lighter of course, but the curtains are cheap and can be found easily when testing designs.
    Great advice. Not sure the price per yd^2 on the curtains but its always good to get a little practice in. The mesh is about $2.16/yd^2(+tax/shipping) when you get it from Dutchware. Occasionally there are sales on the 0.9 if the 0.67 is not in stock. The first set of snake skins I made out of mesh fell apart completely on the first HF hang I took them to in Hot Springs, NC. I had to throw those away but over a few years I have made progress. I used a set of my homemade tarp snake skins on the PCT and they are still going strong. When I first started doing some mesh I actually found some very coarse mesh at walmart and made a few bags for sewing equipment out of it. I am still using the bags today.

• + New Posts